Buying My First Plasma

B

betamac

OK i have abit of money saved up and i am looking to buy my first ever plasma,

considering i have only ever watched DVDs on my Sony 32" CRT or lesser TVs would i notice a difference between say

Cheapie Ish:
Daewoo DP42SP £1700

Mid Range Ish:
Panasonic TH42PW6B £2300

High End Ish:
Pioneer PDP433HDE £3000

What do you guys think is it worth me paying extra or would i be amazed at the quality of any plasma?

Thanks in advance

well from what I know, you will notice difference between panasonic and pioneer for sure. Not necessarily saying one is better than the other, just have their own set of strengths.

personally I wouldn go for a plasma unless it was one of the big brands, there are too many possible intricacies and i like the ability to come on here where many people own the plasmas and can answer questions.

ad

We have just bought a PW6 and are very pleased, DVD's are fantastic, Sky is not so good but I have that plugged in the scart and some say it can be soft via this.
Recommended.

Originally posted by Ged
We have just bought a PW6 and are very pleased, DVD's are fantastic, Sky is not so good but I have that plugged in the scart and some say it can be soft via this.
Recommended.

:) yeh i think the panny is creeping to top fo list i have always like Panasonic, what price did you pay?

and does the panny support progressive scan via component as i have a Pioneer progressive scan DVD player

yes Panny supports progressive scan.

Your initial breakdown raises an interesting point, the latest Pioneer (434HDE) and Panasonic are both on par with each other, but for different reasons. (you might wanna do a search, it's been thrashed out a million times already!!!) The Daewoo is way, way down on the quality scale...

Liam is the TH-42PWD6 the lastest model from panasonic as i thought it was last years model?

i know the 434HDE is Pioneers new model but do they still sell last years 433HDE for a cheaper price>?

Hi, £2250 from Nexnix.co.uk
Next day delivery, choice of board and stand, no problems and would recommend them again.

betamac,

TH-42PWD6 is from last year. hence the v good prices available for this screen.

The 7 series will be out soon. later on in the year.

can also back the TH-42PWD6 great screen had for almost a month now blows me away each time I switch it on.....

well saying the 7 series will be out soon is a bit keen..... i get the feeling we are nearer 6 months away than 1.....

ad

I know when we traded up from a 28inch Widescreen I don't think we were prepared for the differences in Sky channel quality.

But then as read in another thread, if a CRT tube would be that big it would show this up too!

The bigger the screen the more 'errors' you start to see.

Still the involvement I get from my screen means I couldn't easily go back to a smaller telly.:smashin:

I too was a little disappointed with Sky on the Panny and soon realized how important a really good connection from the box to the Plasma was. Not wishing to promote anything I went for the JS RGB to VGA box and it was probably the best hundred odd quid that I spent. I really think that the quality of Sky is vastly improved to the point where it's easily as good as on my old 32" CRT and on most occasions better.

Don't bother connecting via scart - the quality is poor.

Originally posted by macdaddy

Don't bother connecting via scart - the quality is poor.
:offtopic:
You can still get a RGB feed through scart which is not as poor as s-video or composite!

Sky movie channels are pretty good on my RGB connection but 'Celebrity get me out of here' was almost unwatchable!

personally I would say dont bother feeding with any standard connection..... I wouldnt even consider using a plasma without some sort of video processor..... obviously others are not in agreement though

ad

Well I have had a quote

£2421.90

For that i get a Charcoal Panny PWD6, Wall Mount, 1 X Component Board (For Gamecube) 1 X Scart Board For Sky + (i am toying with the RGB - VGA Box but am confused why this would be much better than RGB Scart) 1 X Component Cable For DVD player Into VGA port, 1 X Scart Cable for Sky + And delivery

The changes i could consider are

Use RGB - VGA for Sky + and swap the scart board for 2nd component board for DVD player

Would it be worth it as i could swap the scart board for component FOC and then i have the box to fork out for only

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom