Buying my first oled - which retailer should I go to?!

GaMeFaNaTiC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Decided to buy my first oled and a Sony A80J but am a bit concerned about brightness and burn in.

I'm trying to find a retailer where I can return an opened item which I'm not satisfied with, I.e. the picture wasn't bright enough in the room I put it in so returned for a refund if it comes to that (hopefully not).

John lewis apparently don't let you do this, richer sounds seem to (but I have to pay £30?), I don't have a costco membership and can't find this tv on their site anyway. Currys says I can't use the item but can open it, not sure how I'll be able to test it like that.

I was also thinking about buying burn in warranty, is john lewis still the only retailer who offer this?

Appreciate some advice! I might skip the burn in warranty and go to richer sounds, maybe currys is a good option?

Edit: if I managed to get costco membership would they be the best option? How are they when the TV develops a fault?

Last edited:
I hesitated for a long time about burn in for oled. Touch wood i had no such issues since 2018
I decided to go JL because they are historically best for me in term of reacting if issues (straight swap in general).
i have no idea if anyone does burn in insurance now.

Last edited:
JL does burn in insurance so that would swing it for me of those options (if you can’t get Costco membership, quite a wide range of professions qualify)

Have you considered an independent like Sevenoaks or other local retailers, you can have a chat with the manager about your needs and concerns, you’ll get the 5 year Sony warranty on premium products. You don’t always have to use large chains

Currys would be far below all others

I always buy from Richer Sounds, for me they are hands down the best retailer both for pre and after sales support. Manufacturers still don't cover for burn in nor do the retailers. HOWEVER plenty of reports of some OLED's being repaired/replaced but equally plenty of reports where they aren't. John Lewis have a burn in cover via Domestic and General but read the small print, not sure I'd trust it, but the policy is worth a try for the relatively low cost.

I always buy from Richer Sounds, for me they are hands down the best retailer both for pre and after sales support. Manufacturers still don't cover for burn in nor do the retailers. HOWEVER plenty of reports of some OLED's being repaired/replaced but equally plenty of reports where they aren't. John Lewis have a burn in cover via Domestic and General but read the small print, not sure I'd trust it, but the policy is worth a try for the relatively low cost.
Easy to exchange the TV with RS if its faulty I.e. dead pixels or banding etc? Do they come to your house and swap the TV or you have to take it to their store?

JL does burn in insurance so that would swing it for me of those options (if you can’t get Costco membership, quite a wide range of professions qualify)

Have you considered an independent like Sevenoaks or other local retailers, you can have a chat with the manager about your needs and concerns, you’ll get the 5 year Sony warranty on premium products. You don’t always have to use large chains

Currys would be far below all others
Never thought of independent and wasn't aware that sony had their own 5 year warranty. I bought my lcd from prc direct maybe I'll have a look at their site.

Easy to exchange the TV with RS if its faulty I.e. dead pixels or banding etc? Do they come to your house and swap the TV or you have to take it to their store?

It depends on how long you've had the television and the fault but Richer Sounds will always look after you in the end if its a genuine fault and even if the manufacturer lets you down. I've had televisions swapped direct at my home and also had to take one in to my local store but all arranged to suit myself.

I hesitated for a long time about burn in for oled. Touch wood i had no such issues since 2018
I decided to go JL because they are historically best for me in term of reacting if issues (straight swap in general).
i have no idea if anyone does burn in insurance now.
Hi what do you mean by straight swap? Do they collect your faulty tv from your home and give you a replacement of the same tv?

What's wrong with the small print?

What's wrong with the small print?

It specifically states neglect is excluded and manufacturers state burn in is caused due to neglect. It's the only policy I'm aware of that will even entertain burn in cover though so maybe worth a try.

It specifically states neglect is excluded and manufacturers state burn in is caused due to neglect. It's the only policy I'm aware of that will even entertain burn in cover though so maybe worth a try.
Seems like you're the only person in that thread not convinced by the warranty.

I'd be using the TV normally so don't see any reason for neglect, plus it's my first oled so I'm not sure what to think about burn in which is why I might decide to go to JL for peace of mind.

Best buy in the US have had burn in warranty for a while I think and there's no catch there, can't see why they would write burn in covered and then try to refuse to repair your burnt in tv.

Seems like you're the only person in that thread not convinced by the warranty.

I'd be using the TV normally so don't see any reason for neglect, plus it's my first oled so I'm not sure what to think about burn in which is why I might decide to go to JL for peace of mind.

Best buy in the US have had burn in warranty for a while I think and there's no catch there, can't see why they would write burn in covered and then try to refuse to repair your burnt in tv.

I don't trust insurance policies until they are tried and tested and I've not heard of anyone testing the D&G burn in cover. If they do cover it no questions asked then its a no brainer to get it.

So basically the policy excludes what the manufacturers will argue caused the burn in. Sounds like a scam to me.

Id say:-

Costco
Richer sounds
Currys
John lewis

Costco got the only 90 day returns, generally heard excellent cs and returns/repairs, Richer sound decent also and appear to look after customers. Currys good repair and exchange system generally, JL only company in UK do to burn in cover so you get that peace of mind factor.

Most companies want a "fault" really before you send it back, opened and used and "did not like" does not sit well with most retailers and many say no outright, others charge restocking fees of
10-20% and courier return cost etc, so faulty... tends to be easier, and now a days, screen uniformity, banding and pixels, motion etc lots of things can be faulty with TV,s so its a good idea to check for these.

Costco
Richer sounds
Currys
John lewis

Costco got the only 90 day returns, generally heard excellent cs and returns/repairs, Richer sound decent also and appear to look after customers. Currys good repair and exchange system generally, JL only company in UK do to burn in cover so you get that peace of mind factor.

Most companies want a "fault" really before you send it back, opened and used and "did not like" does not sit well with most retailers and many say no outright, others charge restocking fees of
10-20% and courier return cost etc, so faulty... tends to be easier, and now a days, screen uniformity, banding and pixels, motion etc lots of things can be faulty with TV,s so its a good idea to check for these.

Thanks for the info, I went for richer sounds in the end because John lewis didn't price match and were making up excuses... which made me think they would make a fuss too if I told them something was faulty.

Quick call to richer sounds and they price matched + beat it by £20, also better at communicating e.g. by email.

AO

Costco
Richer sounds
Currys
John lewis

AO do free 100 day rwturns no questions

AO

AO do free 100 day rwturns no questions

Impressive but slight snag sadly, I read if the item is used or unboxed:-

If you’ve used the product

It’s fine if the product has been unpacked, but if it’s been used or installed, we can only give you a partial refund. This can be up to 50% of the product’s cost. If it’s used, then 14 day refund rules will apply.

1 year warranty?

Looking at AO terms, you still get the normal 30 day returns if faulty, then rest of the year its manufacturer as normal.

Basically the 100 days is good if you bought the item and not opened the box because that is what everyone does :rotfl:

Please don't waste money on burn in warranties. Consumer rights law covers you completely regarding it.

Costco
Richer sounds
Currys
John lewis

Agree with this.

Costco at number 1
You can totally audition the TV , check for banding etc, and if you have a bad one, no problems whatsoever giving it back.

Plus, having had 2 LG Oled develop faults around 2 to 3 years old, they just refund you the full purchase price, enabling you to buy the latest model and put £500 back in your pocket. Amazing!

I'm in this sort of situation currently too. I decided I want to buy from either Richer or JL (due to the burn in warranty). I would have tried Costco but they don't stock the model I want (JZ1500).

Does anyone have any experience of returning to Richer if bought from their store? I know online I'm protected by distance selling regs for 30 days but I was going to go into a store to demo the TV first and I'd happily buy in store if I knew I had the same cover.

Obviously I don't plan on returning it but the 65" seems to be more likely to show discolouration/tints on white/grey this year.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom