Buying my first AV Receiver - Denon 1706

Y Cymro

Standard Member
Hi
This is my first AV Receiver so I'd appreciate some help and guidance.

I plan to connect my TV to the amp via stereo phono leads and use for most viewing set to ProLogic. Is it possible to default to this setting at switch on, or would I need to select the source and sound type? Will the Denon set automatically to Dolby Digital when I switch on the DVD player - connected via digital connection?

Does the 1706 have OSD as the amp will be in a different room to the TV?

My DVD players have optical and digital coax outs. Is one better than the other to connect to the amp?

Will I need to connect video as well as audio to the amp, or can I just connect from source (sky/DVD/video) to the TV via scart, and connect just audio to the amp?

bu5ter

I plan to connect my TV to the amp via stereo phono leads and use for most viewing set to ProLogic. Is it possible to default to this setting at switch on, or would I need to select the source and sound type? Will the Denon set automatically to Dolby Digital when I switch on the DVD player - connected via optical connection? - When you setup the various sources on the amp you will specify the audio and video connections and the format i.e 2 channel stereo, dolby digital, dts etc....some of this on the digital side will be automatic and it will be remembered for each source so all is good.

Does the 1706 have OSD as the amp will be in a different room to the TV? - I am not sure but am sure someone else will answer this I know the 1906 does.

My DVD players have optical and optical coax outs. Is one better than the other to connect to the amp? - no real difference I prefer coax as you have less hassle getting longer leads and no worries about breaking it like you do with optical but saying that i havent broken an optical yet....

Will I need to connect video as well as audio to the amp, or can I just connect from source (sky/DVD/video) to the TV via scart, and connect just audio to the amp? - you can do either the bonus of runnign your video through your amp is the fact you only need one or 2 cables running to your screen but it doesnt matter.

Y Cymro

Standard Member
Thanks for your replies - things are a lot clearer now.

That's a shame about the OSD - I may have to buy some other set which has it. Any suggestions for a max price of £200?

S_Bob

if you can stretch a little you could get the 1906 - i think i read somewhere it can be had for 220 or 230 reconditioned or something. Have you considered a second hand one?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom