Buying Microsoft Office

Arif

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy this program - but given the cost - am only really willing to do this if it'll mean that both me and the Mrs' computers will be able to benefit from it?

Can I legitimately download the CD-ROM into both computers?

If it's not 'legitimate' - for single-machine use only - then is there anything stopping me from downloading it anyway?

It's all only for personal home use.

I just figure that for £350+ - I should be reaping the benefits on not just one computer!!

Thanks in advance!!

No it's not legal, but it will work.
Have you tried Open Office, it is free and very good!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is legal as long as you only use 1 copy at a time!!

Microsoft are starting to roll out web-based security for it's products. You can no longer download Windows updates (security fixes are exempt) without having a legal registered copy of Windows...

h,,m...if only you were a student, then you can get the student discount version of office for £100, includes all the stuff in basic office but is cheaper for students and teachers...and yes you need to licenses to run it legally, or two copies of it, but try reading the instrustions/manual, sometimes they let you install it onto 3 of your own computers,

Excellent, people!!

You've been most helpful.

Wishing you all a good weekend...

Open office is also a good alternative. It is like Microsoft office but completely free.

DLPMaybe said:
Open office is also a good alternative. It is like Microsoft office but completely free.
There's a good idea, wish I'd have thought of that :D

I know MS software is a rip off, if only someone would make a program just like Ms Office but call it 'something' office and make it available for free, that would be brill.

meansizzler said:
h,,m...if only you were a student, then you can get the student discount version of office for £100, includes all the stuff in basic office but is cheaper for students and teachers...and yes you need to licenses to run it legally, or two copies of it, but try reading the instrustions/manual, sometimes they let you install it onto 3 of your own computers,

WOW! really! im a student and i didnt know that, it doesnt apply to windows itsefl too does it? *crosses fingers*

watchinthewheel said:
WOW! really! im a student and i didnt know that, it doesnt apply to windows itsefl too does it? *crosses fingers*

It used to....i remember getting win95 and NT3.51 for next to nothing...

Regarding Microsoft Office License terms, the standard versions of Office allow for it to be used on two computers. Technically the second must be a laptop but I am pretty sure Microsoft don't come round your house to check! :)

The student version allows for installation on up to three computers in the same house. You do not need to be a student to buy the student version. Technically you need to be a student, the parent of a student or a teacher but, since January of this year, you no longer need to prove you are any of these three. Just say I am buying it for my son who is a student and you'll be fine!

watchinthewheel said:

Students don't usually pay for any software.
Use your money wisely on beer and women/men.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom