Buying McAfee anti-virus, download or buy the disk?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Tetlee, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,804
    I've been having problems with my pc recently (troubles with start-up and closing down). I've been using the free anti-virus AVG 6.0 and although it always reports 2 viruses I can't seem to locate them. Anyway, I just did a free scan from the McAfee site and that detects 8 viruses :eek: including 2 trojans.
    Now I've decided to buy the McAfee Virusscan, the thing is, what difference (apart from the obvious) does it make if I download or buy the ROM. I prefer to download it as it would save me having to go shopping but I wonder if it's better to have the disk to fall back on incase of any problems. For instance, although on the site I notice you can reinstall the program, I'm thinking that could be a problem if you're having connection problems.
    Would be interested on any thought about this, also opinions on McAfee Virusscan would be handy before I part with my notes.
    Advise please :lesson:

2. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,961
    McAfee is IMO the best AV product by a long way..

I have never seen an infected PC running (up to date) McAfee, but I cant say the same for any of the other brand name AV products that i have worked with..

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    i've not been a big fan of McAfee in the past, because it used to crash my PC a lot. I use Norton Internet Security 2004 which includes Norton Antivirus 2004 and Norton Personal Firewall 2004. I would highly recommend this product, and you can pick it up for about £40. You can also download a 30 day trial version to test first, to make sure it's the product for you.

4. philst68i

philst68i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Have been using Panda av for awhile now and its the best I've had. Bought it online, downloaded it and burnt it to cd.

Quality !

5. Skiddins

Skiddins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Norton AntiVirus 2001. Which has never let me down, detected bugs etc on web sites as well as warning me about a file coming via hotmail, which should suppossedly have been picked up by McAfee (It mentions that they use it for scanning on the Hotmail website), and I'm not taking about a new virus, it was 2 years old!

Use a firewall as well.
    I have had Zonealarm recommended to me as it asks for your permission before alowing anything to access the internet, which is good for stopping any trojans that the AV software may have missed.

A good site for utilities for securing the 'XP' nightmare etc and scanning to see if your machine is secure is www.grc.com

Skiddins