Buying Level Advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by meep, Aug 2, 2002.

1. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Hi All,

I have recently set up a home theatre (see sig link for details). The first component I purchased was a Panasonic package system (seperates) which provided a 5.1 DTS Receiver (SA-HE9), DVD player, 5 x 100W 6ohm speakers and a sub.

The logic was to get up and running quickly & cheaply (about £500 at the time) as the other theatre components were acquired progressively. As a seperates system, I could upgrade components as required.

I've already dumped the DVD for a HTPC and now I'm looking at receiver and speakers.

My basic query is this: For a budget of around Stg. £2,500, I'm considering the Pioneer VSA-AX10. If I purchase that, I'm left with my existing speakers and sub. However, If I set my sights lower and wait for the forthcoming Pioneer VSX-D2011 (specs here) I could use the rest of the budget on a decent pair of front left and right speakers and utilise my current l/r as rear surrounds for EX/ES.

Now, given that I'm not an audiophile but do appreciate full, quality sound and will use the Amp for DVD/TV/Games only and as a video signal switcher to the HTPC, what's the general feeling on my options?

Decent Amp now paired with poor speakers for at least a year or a compromise amp with better speakers? Any knowledge of the likely quality of the VSX-D2011 (billed as Ax10's little brother!)?

Thanks in advance for your attention

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,303
    Hi

I would have a look round for info about the AX10, it´s already been updated to the AX10i (due fairly soon) and has had a few problems with shutdown. The other Pioneer you mention could be the european version of the VSX 47 (the AX10 is the VSX49 in the USA) a model below the VSX49. Here´s a link to the AX10/VSX49 forum HERE Worth having a read through.

To be honest it´s down to personal choice whether you spend your current budget entirely on an amp or split it between speakers and amp. I would be inclined to split it myself rather than wait a year to get the speakers that could really show off the system, but that´s my personal choice, others may think differently.

:)

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You are intending to drive a Micra with a Porsche engine and the home cinema experience will be just that. A superb engine let down by by the brakes and handling.

Whilst all components add (or subtract) from the total experience the speakers probably have most effect and for that reason I would blow the major part on speakers with a poorer amp rather than the other way round if it has to be one way or the other.

Having said that, I wouldn't do that at all as the only way to benefit from expenditure of £2,500 to the full is to make sure that no individual component lets the side down and I would replace the lot or none at all.

£2,500 will buy you a superb system which even a non audiophile will appreciate.

4. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Thanks for the comments guys.

My current thinking is to go for a mid-range Amp and decent speakers now rather than investing in a high-end amp which I won't enjoy properly.

The only niggle I have is, In a year, will I want to chuck the OK amp for something like an AX-10!.

Perhaps a better approach would be to invest the £2,500 in speakers now and wait for the amp?

Decisions, Decisions....

BTW Jase, the VSX-D2011 is not the VSX 47 - it's something new, due in October. It's listed around £900. has many of the features of the AX10 (7.1, Acoustic Calibration, AIR tuned etc. etc. but is obviously very much teh baby brother weighing in at 1/3 the mass of tehAX10!

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally, for AV, I would not bother spending £2500 on an amp. If you are not worried about music, I would go for a Denon 3802 or similar in the £600-£1000 bracket and spend the rest on a good quality 5.1 speaker set up. You should be looking at a tasty B+W set up for that kind of money. This will destroy a £2500 amp through cheapo speakers any day of the week.

S

6. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the ax10 is already being advertised in one of the a.v. mags. (forget which one was looking for something else at the time) for£2000.00- if you're set on this amp, waiting a bit longer may get you all you want. my sugestion would be a good compromise i.e. sony str-va555es (available around £730.00) and speakers etc. of your choice