• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Buying lens from eBay... Good idea?

Fire On A Wire

I've spotted a couple of sellers selling a Canon telephoto lens (55-250 STM) for under £200 which is £60 cheaper than Amazon.

The seller has said the lens is imported from the USA, China or Japan and that if there is a problem within 1yr, they will repair it.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

llama

It would basically be an imported lens, as the seller says he may repair it, but Canon themselves won't. I would guess the chance of a lens breaking and it being covered under warranty quite small (I would guess most lenses are damaged physically)(I would guess the AF motors wear out though) it would probably not the worth the extra cash to get it from Amazon.

You are saving a good %, and would probably be worth the risk, but saving say £60 from a £2000 lens would be a bit silly.

Bear in mind there are shops that sell "grey imports" that are probably the same price as what you saw, but offer "customer service", with the same "problem" with the warranty.

eduk

Distinguished Member
I've spotted a couple of sellers selling a Canon telephoto lens (55-250 STM) for under £200 which is £60 cheaper than Amazon.

The seller has said the lens is imported from the USA, China or Japan and that if there is a problem within 1yr, they will repair it.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Who pays import duty and VAT?

danhearn94

Standard Member
I'd go for it, it's a pretty healthy saving. If you think about it, so long as you take care of the lens, it's unlikely to have any faults within the warranty period anyway. Which means the issue of buying an imported lens isn't as big. Just my opinion though, which is why I'm happy buying most of my gear second hand!

snerkler

Distinguished Member
As long as you're aware of the risks and the savings outweigh them for you then go for it. You're pretty unlucky if you have a warranty issue with a lens, although obviously it does happen from time to time.

Fourlegs

Standard Member
I suppose the only other thing to try and find out is whether the ebay seller is a retailer operating out of retail premises somewhere or whether it is someone just selling from their front room. Not always possible to be sure about this but if it is a retailer selling on ebay (which quite a few of them do) then the risk is a bit less. But as others have said, the price seems good and may be worth the risk but only you can judge ....

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom