Buying laptop tomorrow - 3 options - RAM vs processor?

MSP

Standard Member
Acer Aspire 5742 15.6 inch Notebook (Intel Core i5-480M Processor, 5 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, DVD-Super Multi DL Drive, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit)
£429.99
Acer Aspire 5742 15.6 inch Notebook (Intel Core i5-480M Processor, 5 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, DVD-Super Multi DL Drive, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Acer Aspire Core i5 4GB 320GB 15.6 Inch Laptop
£399
Buy Acer Aspire Core i5 4GB 320GB 15.6 Inch Laptop at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Laptops.

Toshiba Satellite C660-23M Laptop, Intel Core i3, 2.4GHz, 6GB RAM, 640GB, 15.6", Black
£399
Buy Toshiba Satellite C660-23M Laptop, Intel Core i3, 2.4GHz, 6GB RAM, 640GB, 15.6", Black online at JohnLewis.com
Comes with 2 year warranty and 90 day free computer support.

Narrowed it down to these three but if anyone has any suggestions around the same price, feel free to post. I'll be using the laptop for general browsing (usually have a lot of tabs open at a time), iTunes and maybe another program at once. Main questions are; is it worth the £30 more with the Acer model for the extra RAM and HDD space for what I intend to use it for? Does the 2 year warranty at John Lewis make it the best option? Is it the amount of RAM or the better the processor that makes multitasking faster?

Thanks in advance, any advice appreciated!

Last edited:

InNeRvISioN

Novice Member
Yesterday I ordered myself one of these Dell XPS 15

I know it costs more than the other laptops you're looking at, but with a 15% off code and 8% quidco (Voucher code found on quidco site for Dell) it works out about £540. Though, I did upgrade mine to have the backlit keyboard.

MSP

Standard Member
Processor for multi tasking. 4GB of RAM is absolutely ample for what you are planning to use it for.

Buy ASUS X53E-SX1186V | 15.6" LAPTOP - Laptops | Comet

this is what I'm thinking of getting tomorrow, same price but with 2nd gen i5 processor and 6GB Ram. Also USB 3 and 750GB Hard Drive.
Thanks! £399 for those specs almost seems too good to be true. Can't seem to find any reviews of that particular laptop anywhere. For what I intend to use it for and that extra RAM not being necessary, do you recommend sticking with the Acer? Or because it's the same price just go with the higher spec ASUS laptop?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: New TVs, Samsung Q800T Soundbar review, IFA latest, Movie and AV News, B+W Brad Pitt
Top Bottom