• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Buying iPhone from USA

scudder

Established Member
It would be locked to AT&T for life. (You could unoffically unlock but would always revert to locked if you updated firmware). I would just but one from Apple in UK.

BarryMcKelvey

Distinguished Member
Hi

Apologies for hi jacking this thread. I have a colleague in work in a similiar situation. He's think of buying an iPhone 4 when he's in Thailand. Would it be locked for life to whatever network they use out there?

Thanks

Baz

alan280170

Distinguished Member
Hi

Apologies for hi jacking this thread. I have a colleague in work in a similiar situation. He's think of buying an iPhone 4 when he's in Thailand. Would it be locked for life to whatever network they use out there?

Thanks

Baz

Baz,

In most of the Asian countries you buy them unlocked, just double check, I know for a fact that in Indonesia they come unlocked and also Singapore (but don't buy one there as they are more expensive than from Apple UK). You may not get a bargain though as the are still expensive over here.

Alan:smashin:

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Hi, I'm going to be in the states next month, can I buy a iPhone from there to use in uk?

Thanks louis

It would be locked to AT&T for life. (You could unoffically unlock but would always revert to locked if you updated firmware). I would just but one from Apple in UK.

just to add, in case anyone else comes across this thread, you wouldn't be able to get one in the first place as in the US, they are sold contract only which usually means a US credit card and US address

alan280170

Distinguished Member
just to add, in case anyone else comes across this thread, you wouldn't be able to get one in the first place as in the US, they are sold contract only which usually means a US credit card and US address

Sorry that is not true, you can go into an Apple store and buy one, but it will be locked to AT&T. I live in Texas for 5 months of the year and have an AT&T Iphone, been asking them if they'll unlock it for me, to use in UK and Asia, but they are Nazi's and won't do it, still keep trying though.:cool::D

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Sorry that is not true, you can go into an Apple store and buy one, but it will be locked to AT&T. I live in Texas for 5 months of the year and have an AT&T Iphone, been asking them if they'll unlock it for me, to use in UK and Asia, but they are Nazi's and won't do it, still keep trying though.:cool::D

I stand corrected then :thumbsup:

I based my assertion on my experience at the Dallas Apple store (North Park Center)

alan280170

Distinguished Member
I stand corrected then :thumbsup:

I based my assertion on my experience at the Dallas Apple store (North Park Center)

No problem, but if you can afford a IP4, just buy an unlocked one at an Apple store in the UK, it's only 200GBP more than a US one and if you have any problems, go to your store. That's what I'm going to do. Singapore duty free is more expensive than the Apple store in Aberdeen, *** going on there.:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom