Buying in the USA

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tracer, Jul 15, 2002.

1. tracer

tracer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Going to Boston in October is it worth buying Home Cinema gear
    any tips please.
    Thanks

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Depends at what price range....

3. tracer

tracer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About £400 uk

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Depends on what equipment!

Remember: voltage difference (AC 110V in the US), some equipment is NTSC only, import tax, warranty cases etc.

May not be worth it ...

5. tracer

tracer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Speaker small ones or amps

6. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AV Amps - probably not, too many things to go wrong, and you'll effectively have no warranty, plus there's the power issue, both voltage and frequency.

Speakers - depending on what you want, it definitely could be worth your while. Obviously a pair of floorstanders are out, but a smaller set or two should be OK with the airline (shipping back etc).
    I bet M&K are cheaper over there - if that's what you are into.

What you can get out there are some serious subwoofer drivers at very good prices comapared to what you'd pay over here - not many of them are actually available over here anyway.
    I'm sure you could sneak one of them into the old suitcase - but they are heavy. :)
    Only of interest if you are prepared to build your own subwoofer though.

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Personally, wouldn't bother....
    Unless of course you are travelling to Boston from within say 20 miles, if further away, forget it.:)

8. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hi-jack this thread
    but does anybody know of any good AV-shops in New York or anywhere i could get any bargins up to £1000
    thanks
    Samir

9. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    If you mean Manhattan, it's not really geared up to bargain basement...try South London instead:)

10. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Hi,

In Boston you might want to have a look at Q Audio (?...if I've remembered correctly). I got a good deal on my first dvd player (Sony 7000) from them, back in 1997. The're in the phone book and are located near MIT. There are another couple of audio stores out by Boston University which might be worth a look as well.

New York.... most of the "cheaper" dealers are over in New Jersey. Buy a hifi or video mag when you get there and look at the ads for J&R and a couple of others.

There probably isn't a lot that I'd want to buy from the US apart from a region 1 (only) dvd player that you might get a good deal on. You might get a good deal on an iScan or some other video processor if you need that sort of thing.

Brian

11. Mindcrime

Mindcrime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Your best bet is to get in a car and drive out of town and either find a Wal*Mart or go to a shopping mall.
    If you can hack driving about 30 miles north on Route I95 and the I195, you will come to the mall at Rockingham (near Salem), New Hampshire, where you don't pay tax on goods - you pay the price you see: There motto is after all Live free or Die. If you wanna buy anything of value go up to New Hampshire, and it is quite a nice drive, too!!

12. super7

super7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Good places to find (other than Wal*Mart as it has already been mentioned) are Circuit City, Sears (only the bigger ones have electricals) and my favourite - Best Buy. They sell everything with a plug or batteries! Washing machines to PCs, ICE, GPS, TV, audio, AV etc. etc. Well worth a look. They tend to be in the retail parks rather than Malls. Never been to Boston area, but look them up on the web.

I was very tempted when I was last over there (June) to buy an AV Receiver, but got cold feet. It is very cheap for cables and interconnects - My suitcase must have looked pretty suspicious on the X ray when I came home! Best Buy also has a big CD / DVD / DVD-A selection.

Have fun!

Super7

13. Mindcrime

Mindcrime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Nothing to do with A/V shopping, but when you are in Boston pay a visit to a restaurant called 'The Brewmoon', it's across the road from The Blue Man Group Theater in the Theater District on the edge of Chinatown - the food is wonderful and they brew there own beer on site; a must visit place!!

Cambridge Audio store in Rockingham Mall were selling a H/K AVR8000 for $500.00 when I visited, Pioneer amps were roughly the same price too.

Good Luck