1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying in the big apple,worth it?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by TopMeTom, Nov 15, 2003.

1. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Hi,

off to new york this weekend (21) wondered if buying a pj would be a lot cheaper over there like cameras are? If anyone has any tips or advice i am all ears!!

Phil:clown:

2. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I shouldn't imagine there's that much in it, but you never know. Don't you have to pay duty if you bring stuff in that's over a certain amount?

Cameras are quite easy, as you can claim that you took it out with you, but a brand new boxed PJ might be a bit different.

3. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yep,

Duty and VAT.
    If you get stung, like I did smiggling through a video camera...not only was I cautioned and fined, but also had to pay duty and VAt, making the damn thing cost more than this country:(

I think it is 10% duty added then 17.5% on top of that.
    Th power will also be different and will need an adapter or transformer(I think)

Cheers

Chris

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,087
    Some warranties aren't world wide, so that may mean having to ship it back if a fault occurs with it.

For something like a pj, unless the cost is hugely different like those from PriceJapan, then it dosn't seem worth it imho. At least if you have pay to send it back to Japan, it's still works out cheaper than over here.

Gary.