Buying HDD/DVD recorder with live memory.Help needed!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mj23, Oct 24, 2005.

1. mj23

mj23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to byu a HDD/DVD recorder.The most importants features for me are:
    1.Good PQ, both recorded and playback(i use digital STB with RGB output).
    2. A feature like JVC "Live Memory" or Philips "Live buffering" is very apreciated (but only if the source can be not only the tuner but an AV input).
    3. Dedicated buttons on the remote for instant replay, slow when watching live pictures that is being buffered on the HDD.
    4.Timer power back-up(so you not lose your timers set if the power goes out for a sec.)
    5. Basic editting functions
    I read a lot of threads and reviews here and everywhere on the web.My budget is restricted so i picked Philips HDRW 720, Pioneer 433H, Toshiba xs32, JVC MH30. I read a lot of negative reviews for the Philips. But it is the only one with JVC that supports live buffering. The JVC is a little more expenesive.The Tosh lacks automatic start of the record when detecting signal from the STB. So the winner(for me) seems to be the Pioneer.But the absence of live buffering bothers me a lot.
    Any advice, opinions and comments will be highly appreciated.I see here a lot of members that know a lot about this machines(Rasczak for example) and i hope for their help in my decision.

2. Vallyboy

Vallyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered the Phillips 720 from Dabs @£214 delivered so has to be good value I feel.
    The Phillips has its quirks it seems but, in extensive reading about this machine it seems to be very reliable as I have seen very few complaints on this score. Seems older models were not so fortunate.

If you want the things it can do, buffer, Guide Plus+ and the like, and can live without the things it cannot do, such as re-encode, copy from onboard DVD player to hard drive, direct recording to DVD, small hard drive. I feel it is a good machine.

I also feel that no machine "has it all" for instance the Tosh 34 seems a tremendous machine but for me has great facilities that I will never use but for the right person is the "right" machine.

One last point, things are moving so fast if a machine last a couple of years you a likely to want something new then. The Phillips was £450 less that a year ago, that says something I think.

Best of luck with your hunt. :)

Edit typo

3. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    You could go for the JVC DR-MH20 if budget is tight, but as this is last year's model, I'd suggest spend the extra £40 or so and get the MH200 (new this season) or the MH30 (unchanged from last year).
    Sony's HX310/510/710 have the Live feature you mention, IIRC.
    If you don't need one with a built in Freeview tuner, then the analog tuner versions (from Europe) can be had for a lot less money from Pixmania.com