Buying games from foreign regions: Please read the FAQ in the first post

I've purchased games from the Brazil store occasionally, but the removal of gift card redemption at checkout on the updated website recently had scared me off. I see the latest advice found on a well known UK deals site now suggests doing transactions on the console itself like this - perhaps I'll try it next time there's a bargain that I'd like:

Go to Xbox console settings and change your LOCATION region to Brazil.
Restart Xbox and head back to the store.
Add Payment Method > Redeem Gift Card (self explanatory)
It might ask for an address, as always Google is your friend.
Complete purchase of game as normal.
Be sure to change LOCATION region back to United Kingdom once purchased.

I didn't try that console based method, after learning there's a much easier procedure for redeeming foreign currency gift cards that still works directly in a browser. At the new store page for a desired game, clicking the gift icon to begin the process of gifting a game permits gift cards to be redeemed at checkout; the gift purchase itself can then be cancelled before completion and the credit used to buy it for yourself instead. So that's a little more fiddly to do than previously, but nevertheless works.

I am having trouble redeeming a Turkish code. I've tried to redeem the code with Windscribe on PC, and VPN Pro on mobile, but it keeps giving me the region error upon trying to redeem. Does anyone know of a VPN that works for Turkey?

How about the Urban VPN extension in Chrome? I've used it successfully for Argentina and also seen suggestions to use it for Turkey.

I’ve had some leftover funds sitting in my US Xbox balance for years now. Not sure if anyone will know the answer to this - but is it possible
to rent a film off the US Store? I know games are region free, though I’m not sure how films work off the store.

I know the discussion here is specifically about game buying, but I was recently pondering the rental idea just to use up leftover credit.

I’ve had some leftover funds sitting in my US Xbox balance for years now. Not sure if anyone will know the answer to this - but is it possible
to rent a film off the US Store? I know games are region free, though I’m not sure how films work off the store.

I know the discussion here is specifically about game buying, but I was recently pondering the rental idea just to use up leftover credit.
I've bought movies from the US store and they've synced to my Movies Anywhere account no issues. So presume rental would work the same.

Didn't realise they'd sync to Movies Anywhere, that might be come in handy.

Yeah, assumed that, as they’ve never bothered to let us have MA over here.

Another option if something is not available on US iTunes or better specced elsewhere.

Has anyone tried to buy from turkey with Oldubil card? I was told it works, but am yet to try it.

Have bought several Argentina games from Eneba and redeemed them no problem using a VPN but was just wondering if Turkish codes can be redeemed just as easily?

For anyone looking at fifa 23, the ultimate edition is £61 from hungary if bought through fifa 22, no vpn required

Had a bit of a panic yesterday as I purchased an Argentina code but it wouldn’t redeem due to country mismatch despite me having used the same VPN several times previously no trouble so thought perhaps the good times might be over but luckily I tried another free VPN and using that it worked fine.

So if anyone has issues redeeming a code it’s worth trying another VPN.

Last edited:
I have a game code from Argentina, and I’m running Uban VPN (this is using Safari on my iPad).

When i click on the redeem link, it takes me to the UK Xbox redeem site……does anyone please have an idiots guide for this?

I haven’t done this for ages, and I do apologise if this is a simple problem that has already been discussed.

Thanks for any assistance you maybe able to offer :thumbsup:

Edit: I bought the code from Eneba

I assume you have tried to input the code? because despite it saying you are in the U.K. with the VPN active it should still redeem.

Yes I have input it, and then it mentions that it’s not for the correct region
Sounds like the issue I was having the other day, the VPN that I used to use no longer worked so had to find another.

I get this

This code can't be redeemed. It was purchased in a different region from your account.
Yea that was the issue I was having but in the past using Private Internet Access VPN had always worked fine.

I ended up downloading Free VPN on my iPhone and that worked.

Where’s the best place to get credit for Argentina?….I’ve looked at the usual places and they all seem to be out of stock ( Seagm, MTC and Eneba )

Thanks

Where’s the best place to get credit for Argentina?….I’ve looked at the usual places and they all seem to be out of stock ( Seagm, MTC and Eneba )

Thanks

Gift Cards for Argentina are no longer produced by MS hence the lack of them. Been that way for a couple of years now unfortunately.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom