Buying games from foreign regions: Please read the FAQ in the first post

At the moment I am think of putting in a subject access request under GDPR legislation to see if I can find out what I am supposed to have done

Looked at the service agreement for Xbox and it’s stated there that indeed, buying outside of your region is considered a violation and may lead to account suspension. What surprises me is that considering how relatively high it’s widespread those locks don’t seem to happen often. Yeah, this whole thing made me seriously reconsider if chasing these cheapest offers is worth it all the hassle. Will stick to my regional sales and offers from now on.

Looked at the service agreement for Xbox and it’s stated there that indeed, buying outside of your region is considered a violation and may lead to account suspension. What surprises me is that considering how relatively high it’s widespread those locks don’t seem to happen often. Yeah, this whole thing made me seriously reconsider if chasing these cheapest offers is worth it all the hassle. Will stick to my regional sales and offers from now on.
It could have been caused by game gifting, given that you both did that iirc. I don't think Gift Cards usage has ever been an issue but who knows.
Makes you wonder how safe it is to get games from Eneba, which are almost guaranteed to be gifted games rather than retail keys like the CDkeys ones.

Hi guys, if anyone need help i have the opportunity to gift some games from ARG, TR or any other Region, i hope this is allowed here to be posted, thank you.

It could have been caused by game gifting, given that you both did that iirc. I don't think Gift Cards usage has ever been an issue but who knows.
Makes you wonder how safe it is to get games from Eneba, which are almost guaranteed to be gifted games rather than retail keys like the CDkeys ones.

Using Gifted Games or Accounts from people you don't know is a big no no. More than likely they are done with stolen accounts or cards. They are not doing it from the goodness of their hearts but trying to make money and causing fraud at the same time. Buying on your own account with Gift Cards is fine, probably even with VPN should be fine but these 2 recent account locks have gone the gifted route and this is the consequences. Doesn't help that someone also allowed someone to access their account without checking.

Using Gifted Games or Accounts from people you don't know is a big no no. More than likely they are done with stolen accounts or cards. They are not doing it from the goodness of their hearts but trying to make money and causing fraud at the same time. Buying on your own account with Gift Cards is fine, probably even with VPN should be fine but these 2 recent account locks have gone the gifted route and this is the consequences. Doesn't help that someone also allowed someone to access their account without checking.

Giftcards could be also from a illegal source that is not safe, too. This two was banned by using gifts Game or Giftcards ? Never heard about this before.

I never accepted gift codes. Only bought from eneba, mtc and cdkeys to active via vpn thereafte.

I never accepted gift codes. Only bought from eneba, mtc and cdkeys to active via vpn thereafte.
It's possible that the eneba games are gifted codes because a lot of them are from Argentina and there's no way currently to purchase from there.

It's possible that the eneba games are gifted codes because a lot of them are from Argentina and there's no way currently to purchase from there.
Makes me think that activating codes from argentina is what could be a culprit due that apparently being some special zone with special treatment within ms store structure.

UK / US all the way for me now. With credit bought from Amazon or another reputable source.

I'm too invested (literally, with over 400 purchased games) to lose them all just to save a few quid.

ive just purchased both star wars KOTOR games from hungry
1.21 each - and possibly my favorite game ever, I have played them both from start to finish once, on the pc a long time ago - i didnt want to keep playing them as i enjoyed it so much... finally time to play it again

Is MTC Game still safe?

Is MTC Game still safe?

A regular (Cant remember who) posted a while back mentioning MTC when i was having issues with cdkeys purchases not going through when trying to buy brazil credit. I'd asked where other people get credit. They'd never had issues with them and ive used them twice and so far seem fine.

Have been a bit more hesitant in general with buying from Brazil store since the bans talked of in this thread the last few weeks, but would think they're as a result of buying gifted games that could've been sourced dubiously, rather than using foreign credit... Hopefully thats the case anyway as I'd personally never use gifted game codes.

Even though slightly hesitant my son wanted Cold war in the recent sale and with Brazil being £15 cheaper that was when i used MTC for the second time, redeemed code, bought game no problem. The codes just take about 10-15mins to come through.

I've not posted in here for a while but have still grabbed the odd bargain now and again when my HotDeals UK notification goes off. A lot of my purchases recently have been with either actual game codes brought from Eneba that require a VPN to redeem (I use a Google Chrome extension called Tunnel Bear and have got bargains like Dirt 5 for less than £7 or Crysis Remastered for £5) or purchases from Hungary which require no VPN or gift cards, just literally allow to purchase using my existing payment method. Yesterday my Hotdeal alert went off for MS Flight Sim premium edition for £53 (£109 or £88 if you have gamepass in the UK) from Iceland. This like Hungary allows you to use an existing payment method I just had to add a random Icelandic address to my profile. I know the standard edition is free on Gamepass anyway but like Train Sim World and Barents Sea Fishing I can see myself putting a lot of time into Flight Sim tbh and wanted to actually own it so that price was too good to miss.

I've stopped using eneba codes completely since a couple of people here got the ban-hammer. I really missed the old days when buying abroad was easy and mostly secret :)

Can’t remember the last I bought from abroad, must be years.

With Gamepass I don’t tend to really buy many games now anyway. Certainly not on the same scale as when you could pretty much buy from a anywhere abroad for peanuts.

Can’t remember the last I bought from abroad, must be years.

With Gamepass I don’t tend to really buy many games now anyway. Certainly not on the same scale as when you could pretty much buy from a anywhere abroad for peanuts.
Yea same here, I used to be actively all over it when a new game was announced but now because I'm either using GamePass or playing on PS5 I dont tend to buy as many games. To be honest not wanting to sound salty but as we all know anyway Xbox didn't really have any decent big titles for the launch of the Series X with Halo Infinite being delayed and no Forza Motorsport/Horizon or Gears (apart from HiveBusters DLC) Even then though with all those titles being on GamePass if they had launched there'd be no desire or need to purchase, so overall the days of grabbing from abroad are gradually fading, I only tend to react to bargains I get sent via HotDeals, I wasn't aware of the Eneba ban hammer thing though @Peew971 so I'll approach with caution as I was tempted to grab Chivrally 2 off there for approx £9

@TUBBST4R it may just have been a coincidence but that's the only reason that made sense, you can read all about it a few pages back on that thread. I don't think it was too long ago.

My son lost MS account too about that time. I tried contesting it but they would not budge or explain why. I'm sure it is against UK laws to revoke access to digital licences and not give an explanation of exactly what terms were broken. If they explained and gave a time, date and device information then I would of accepted it or proved it wasn't him.

Personally, I've not purchased any games from other regions on the dashboard or store for a few years now. When they made it more difficult and changed terms to clearly point out this could result in the loss of your account, it was not worth the risk.

I do still occasionally buy credit from CDKeys and games but even wonder if that is a risk, I mainly pick up a cheap game in a sale and pay with PayPal directly on the dash or just play what's in gamepass. I will get FH5 Ultimate but now wonder if it's worth getting credit from CDKeys for that.... Can we really garauntee what they sell is fully kosher? I've never had problems with them but if the same happened with my own account and MS never told me why... I just don't think its worth the risk.

What does everyone else think?

I still buy from other marketplaces, there’s still too many savings to be had for it to not be worthwhile for me, and I already own 85%+ of the game pass library

There's nothing to suggest that credit isn't still fine but yes this whole situation has become a bit worrisome. I've stopped Eneba but game codes seem fine for pretty much everyone on HUKD, I just try to get foreign credit as needed.

did you ever find out what the ban was for? Worrying stuff that, ive only just read this thread but i have bought alot from xbox-now gifts, eneba etc.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom