Buying games from foreign regions: Please read the FAQ in the first post

Sarah7

I've purchased games from the Brazil store occasionally, but the removal of gift card redemption at checkout on the updated website recently had scared me off. I see the latest advice found on a well known UK deals site now suggests doing transactions on the console itself like this - perhaps I'll try it next time there's a bargain that I'd like:

Go to Xbox console settings and change your LOCATION region to Brazil.
Restart Xbox and head back to the store.
Add Payment Method > Redeem Gift Card (self explanatory)
It might ask for an address, as always Google is your friend.
Complete purchase of game as normal.
Be sure to change LOCATION region back to United Kingdom once purchased.

I didn't try that console based method, after learning there's a much easier procedure for redeeming foreign currency gift cards that still works directly in a browser. At the new store page for a desired game, clicking the gift icon to begin the process of gifting a game permits gift cards to be redeemed at checkout; the gift purchase itself can then be cancelled before completion and the credit used to buy it for yourself instead. So that's a little more fiddly to do than previously, but nevertheless works.

solaireofastora

I am having trouble redeeming a Turkish code. I've tried to redeem the code with Windscribe on PC, and VPN Pro on mobile, but it keeps giving me the region error upon trying to redeem. Does anyone know of a VPN that works for Turkey?

Sarah7

How about the Urban VPN extension in Chrome? I've used it successfully for Argentina and also seen suggestions to use it for Turkey.

Waynej

Distinguished Member
I’ve had some leftover funds sitting in my US Xbox balance for years now. Not sure if anyone will know the answer to this - but is it possible
to rent a film off the US Store? I know games are region free, though I’m not sure how films work off the store.

I know the discussion here is specifically about game buying, but I was recently pondering the rental idea just to use up leftover credit.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
I’ve had some leftover funds sitting in my US Xbox balance for years now. Not sure if anyone will know the answer to this - but is it possible
to rent a film off the US Store? I know games are region free, though I’m not sure how films work off the store.

I know the discussion here is specifically about game buying, but I was recently pondering the rental idea just to use up leftover credit.
I've bought movies from the US store and they've synced to my Movies Anywhere account no issues. So presume rental would work the same.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Didn't realise they'd sync to Movies Anywhere, that might be come in handy.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Yeah, assumed that, as they’ve never bothered to let us have MA over here.

Another option if something is not available on US iTunes or better specced elsewhere.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom