Buying games from foreign regions: Please read the FAQ in the first post

alasdair

Oh so yours could actually be a Xbox ban, damn. How many games have you bought, say in the last 6 months? Was it just pre-paid codes for games or did you buy credit?
Same for @alasdair actually, were you buying credit at all, or just game codes/gifts?
For me I had bought a mixture of UK purchases through bank card; (mainly) Brazilian gift card purchases and a few Argentinian gifts - would guess about 60 games & DLC in total

At the moment I have Resident Evil VIII on preorder bought with Brazilian gift cards - I'm hopeful that it will still pop as a full game on release as it shows in my installed games as preordered - there is no point in cancelling as the cost would end up back as gift card credit and therefore l would lose it - although it would be interesting to see if support could actually cancel it on a disabled account as you do have a right of cancellation on preorders

dyspraxicowl

My gamertag is linked to a msn.com account
yeah i seen that earlier.
im guessing from the looking around i did, its more likely to be something accessing that, I'm also confident you will get it back with the account

for everyone else.... and hopefully people wont hate me, but i would love replies to this

when looking into this, i discovered 2 things. (which i can show you now)
someone or something tries to log into my account occasionally - cant get in due to the wrong password. (see screenshot below)

this is quite normal i guess, people trying to hack accounts (check yours and let me know)

what I don't understand in the slightest........is on the 12th of April, I logged in and purchased batman return to Arkham via brazil (vpn using code) yet this logon doesnt exist..

microsoft.JPG

Peew971

My assumption was that credit was always OK but maybe that's something we all need to reconsider. It could just be that they're targeting the Argentina gift loophole.

alasdair

yeah i seen that earlier.
im guessing from the looking around i did, its more likely to be something accessing that, I'm also confident you will get it back with the account

for everyone else.... and hopefully people wont hate me, but i would love replies to this

when looking into this, i discovered 2 things. (which i can show you now)
someone or something tries to log into my account occasionally - cant get in due to the wrong password. (see screenshot below)

this is quite normal i guess, people trying to hack accounts (check yours and let me know)

what I don't understand in the slightest........is on the 12th of April, I logged in and purchased batman return to Arkham via brazil (vpn using code) yet this logon doesnt exist..

View attachment 1495648
I just had a thought - last week I think I did have an unusual sign in attempt from Ukraine & I think it was from my msn.com account - I can't recall & now cant login to check - but I did OK it without thinking

hmmm...

dyspraxicowl

I just had a thought - last week I think I did have an unusual sign in attempt from Ukraine & I think it was from my msn.com account - I can't recall & now cant login to check - but I did OK it without thinking

hmmm...
if that certainly happened, that could well be it - as you can see my account has had many a failed login due to wrong password. but if you did ok the attempt, i wont ask why :)

(edit)
possibly a logon from a banned ip address....

King Tones

Distinguished Member
My assumption was that credit was always OK but maybe that's something we all need to reconsider. It could just be that they're targeting the Argentina gift loophole.

If it is via the Gifting then it could be down to Fraud.

Never trust those sites that offer games at half the cost via gifting or using accounts.

King Tones

Distinguished Member

hmmm...

Approved it via 2 Step Verification ?

So you allowed someone to login to your account and now that account is banned ?

I hope you get it back but sounds like that was the cause, that person could of done anything via that account.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
account\security\sign on activity
if you can, try and see if you signed on when you know you purchased something foreign (i searched my email to confirm the date)

Since having GamesPass Ultimate and Foreign Gift Cards needing a VPN I stopped buying from abroad. Probably not purchased anything for 2+ years.

Peew971

Since having GamesPass Ultimate and Foreign Gift Cards needing a VPN I stopped buying from abroad. Probably not purchased anything for 2+ years.
Just as a FYI, Brazilian gift cards don't require a VPN to work. I only learned that 2-3 weeks ago and have verified it myself.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Last Foreign Purchase was Hellblade July 2018, everything else since has been purchased via UK store using Rewards Credit or Sales or Cdkeys.

alasdair

I have just submitted another compliance lock form with the info about the Ukraine sign-in

Whether this will be looked into, as I have submitted other compliance forms with no response, I don't know

Fingers crossed

Peew971

Bloody hell!

1618572797194.png

Lexkalin

Standard Member
Oh so yours could actually be a Xbox ban, damn. How many games have you bought, say in the last 6 months? Was it just pre-paid codes for games or did you buy credit?
Same for @alasdair actually, were you buying credit at all, or just game codes/gifts?
No, my microsoft account that uses gmail address is blocked. You don't have to use hotmail or outlook to have MS account, you can register it with other email. So, I've lost access to ALL services from that account. Not just xbox. Skype, office 365, etc.

Lexkalin

Standard Member
I've decided now to conduct a test. I've registered a new separate account for Xbox only without VPN with my country settings as by default (Netherlands). I'm not going to use it for any other activities. I'll see if buying and activating games from other regions over VPN on it will lead anyhow to reproducible lock. That should help to isolate the issue. On the other hand I'm also wondering if I should create under VPN set to Argentina another account and just buy any LatAM stuff and activate on it instead. Either way, it should be clear if xbox and region purchases could lead to account compliance lock.

Peew971

I'm game sharing and I value this more than being able to purchase abroad, so having one account per country is a categorical no for me. It's also not convenient, I'd rather have everything under one account. I know some PlayStation users have 5-6 different accounts on their console, I'm not interested in that.

Peew971

Maybe you guys should try the fraud department as opposed to customer service.

alasdair

I have just submitted another compliance lock form with the info about the Ukraine sign-in

Whether this will be looked into, as I have submitted other compliance forms with no response, I don't know

Fingers crossed
No luck with this - reply as follows:

"Hi,
We evaluated your appeal and verified your account was properly closed for a serious violation of the Microsoft Services Agreement. default page.
Pursuant to our terms, we cannot reactivate your account, nor provide details as to why it was closed.
This represents Microsoft’s final communication regarding this account."

Peew971

The worst part is not providing details as to why it was closed. What if it was a mistake?!
Complete nonsense, disappointing from Microsoft.

Lexkalin

Standard Member
No luck with this - reply as follows:

"Hi,
We evaluated your appeal and verified your account was properly closed for a serious violation of the Microsoft Services Agreement. default page.
Pursuant to our terms, we cannot reactivate your account, nor provide details as to why it was closed.
This represents Microsoft’s final communication regarding this account."
Same response to another request today.

dyspraxicowl

i be so tempted to push a court order at them,
even if you opened a claim online for 1.5k for the lost purchases. would only cost 70 quid.

they would almost certainly cave in instantly due to the cost of them fighting it, also if they did respond you would see the reason why you are banned.

i dont think they would fight it.... and the account would be returned

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sennheiser Consumer Electronics acquired by Sonova
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Freeview Play viewers get Android TV homescreen update
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense announces US TV and soundbar ranges for 2021