1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying from US ebay?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by CrackDown, Aug 7, 2003.

1. CrackDown

CrackDown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
  2. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

I've bought a number of small and relatively cheap items from the US without any problems. I'd be a bit more wary for a larger item like a projector. While the unit may be cheaper, you'll probably get stung for duty as well as vat on the item AND shipping costs. If you have any problems with the unit you could end up seriously out of pocket to ship it back again.

Brian

3. caw001

caw001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    apparently there have been some big ebay scams recently so be a bit careful. I got into conv with a guy about a very cheap sony plasma. He told me it was in Italy, to cut a long story short I asked him if my friend who lived nearby in Italy could go & have a look & he went nuts, was obviously a con. I think in most cases if it looks too good to be true its probably not.

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    If the person who you're buying from wants a Western Union cheque/money order sent to his Bulgarian account, run away!!

95% of all deals involving Bulgarian accounts like this, and Western Union cheques are fraudulant apparently.

There are a few scams like this highlighted over on avsforum - go there and use the search (slowest for more hits), and see if you can find the posts I read over there.

Buyer definately beware.

Gary.

5. CrackDown

CrackDown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    OK then, what about US sites that sell projectors and ship to the UK?

How much will duty and tax be?

Thanks

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    You may not have to pay duty if it's a computer accessory, but you'll have to pay VAT on the total price, including postage.

Try pricejapan, they sell pjs for very cheap prices and give god service. Cheaper than the US by all accounts.

Try a search and see what it brings up.

Gary.