Buying from Tottenham Crt Road

B

bigboy_lcd

I am thinking of going to Tottenham Crt Road to look for LCDs today. They are usually very cheap I hear, but their after-sale service is non existent. I wondered if anyone knew if I am covered under the warranty if I have a valid receipt?

I know sometimes they give out hand written receipts to avoid paying tax. I want to be sure I have that 12 month warranty that is usually given out on new LCDs.

Just a final thing, is it easy to spot a dead pixel?

Thanks in advance,
Kokor

That depends on your eyesight. The most troublesome dead pixels would probably be the ones that show up against a black screen, so just turning the TV to it's AV inputs with nothing connected would let you look for those.

Things have gotten much more competitive over recent years with online retailers. What you'll find is most of the stores are now owned by 3 or 4 companies (you can see the same people running between stores getting stock :D ).

Customer service has also improved dramatically (I guess with business being affected by the internet and the congestion charge). I have even managed to return a few things :eek:

Some of the retailers are recognised retailers so warranties etc, shouldn't be a problem, but check first.

A lot of people now just get John Lewis to price match (or pay that little bit extra for teh warranty and peace of mind).

One of the few advantages left to them is that they often have stock to take away then and their (for impatient people like me :rotfl: ) and you can check out the goods before you buy.

Hope this helps,
Shye :thumbsup:

The only store I ever buy from is Ask Electronics, as they are a proper shop, but so far have matched every price I've walked in there with (and sometimes knocked a bit extra off)

Cheers for the advice. I will go see Ask Electronics. Do you know if Gultronics are any good?

i didnt like the people in Ask, i went there looking to see the 32pf9830 and the guy seemed to think i was coming into his front room asking to see his mothers underwear, i certainly wasnt welcome and the only other guy in the shop was saying "right, sure mate, sure it is by now" as if he had just been told some BS

As for manual receipts, if they have a till system and they give you manuals then what they tend to do is ring them through at the end of the day but enter lower prices on the till, then make up the amount with extra things that they want for themselves, or use the excess to buy more stock. Naughty Naughty
A couple of managers at jessops were busted for this a couple of years back

bigboy_lcd said:
Cheers for the advice. I will go see Ask Electronics. Do you know if Gultronics are any good?
I have only had dealing with Gultronics once & that was when I was looking to buy a Canon Ixus digital camera, they basically bullsh*tted about the price & stock availabilty.
Maybe other people have had good experiences with them but I would never consider buying anything from them again :thumbsdow

Meant to say would recommend C&A Electronics (next to the cinema), ?GHS Technology (blue sign bit further up TCR) and inikoo as places to buy (in that order).

Shye

ush flynn said:
i didnt like the people in Ask, i went there looking to see the 32pf9830 and the guy seemed to think i was coming into his front room asking to see his mothers underwear, i certainly wasnt welcome and the only other guy in the shop was saying "right, sure mate, sure it is by now" as if he had just been told some BS

As for manual receipts, if they have a till system and they give you manuals then what they tend to do is ring them through at the end of the day but enter lower prices on the till, then make up the amount with extra things that they want for themselves, or use the excess to buy more stock. Naughty Naughty
A couple of managers at jessops were busted for this a couple of years back

I got good service at Ask, they let me hook up a laptop to any telly I wanted. The staff was quite keen to see what it could do.

I got a proper computer printed receipt every time, nothing funny about it.
Of all the electronics stores in tottenham I prefer to go there. Much better than going to a dodgy store and deal with that dodgy guy who gives me a "special price" because "I'm his friend".

I called Glutronics about a 32" Panny, you just get a feeling you are dealing with real cowboys. My dad bought a Loewe CRT from there years ago and it exploded within one week, just before the World Cup. They wouldn't take it back, they told us to take it the manufacturer. In the end we got them to take it, but they only fixed it and didn't replace it. So I will give Tottenham Crt Rd a miss, but they do seem cheap for some LCD models and if you pay cash you can get 5-10% off.

I got mine from PNR Electronics. Go and speak to Roman and he will sort you out and seemed to know what he is talking about. They will even deliver for a good price.

Anywhere on the TCR can be a little bit intimadating just do your research and be aware of the bullshit!:) Once they know you have a little knowledge they will give you a better service.

Good luck! let us know how you get on!

P

none of the stores in TCR have a good range of LCD's, only place to go for a good look is Micro Anvika, but there expensive, rest of the stores have just regualr 4by3 lcd monitors...i normally shops at GHS Tech for ocmputer parts..., most of the stores, well nearly all of them i have been to accept goods back for any reason with a 15-20 percent restocking fee if there is nothing wrong with it, not usre on LCD screens thoguh, but for moltherboards, cpu's it applies to...

I ordered a sony surround sound system from Guiltronics over the phone several weeks ago. Cheapest deal I could find anywhere, goods shipped same day and the warranty is with the manufacturer and not the shop. Faultless transaction.

I cannot see why buying sealed consumer goods mail order at low cost make them any more less reliable than more expensive places?

I assumed the shop sends it to the manufacturer. But once you buy your LCD from a shop, shouldn't you expect them to send it to the manufacturer if faulty?

It would probably cost a lot of money if the individual has to package and post it to the manufacturer.

oh and another store i bought some Shure White Label cartridges and stylus for my best mate, about 18 months later i went in to get 2 relacement needles and the same guy didnt have them "No" was his answer... fair enough i thought. I asked if he could order some for me as i got the cartridges here... he said no i cant. Then put his head down again
i called him a rude c**t and walked out. Then another store i got ascosted looking at some printers and they tried to make me buy an overpriced epson 1290 when i was looking for an R1800. Not how to to business in my opinion
I will go to tottenham court road again im sure to check out some kit, possibly the intel mini mac when its not busy, ill stick with micro anvika though, been to a few of thier stores and they seem alright. Will usually price match too

have been using TCR for many years. normally use GHS TECH for all PC monitors as they have a wide choice and will match their online store if you tell them u have come via the website. they are able to ship to u next day, so if dont fancy taking a screen home on the tube they can arrange delivery for u. found this really handy on my last purchase, and even managed to buy something they didnt have in store on that day. very helpful staff and they have been around for ages so always have had decent service from them. always used them for anything pc related as r not like all the other "electrical" stores on TCr - they only do PC's and components. much more knowledgable staff than the rest of the no-hopers on that road.

I got good service at Ask, they let me hook up a laptop to any telly I wanted. The staff was quite keen to see what it could do.

I got a proper computer printed receipt every time, nothing funny about it.
Of all the electronics stores in tottenham I prefer to go there. Much better than going to a dodgy store and deal with that dodgy guy who gives me a "special price" because "I'm his friend".

That's so true. They entice you to getting your money, then if something goes wrong they say "go to the manufacturer" bla bla bla.

In future I'm going to purchase my electrical goods from reputable dealers such as JL even if it costs more.

There is absolutely no chance that these dealers on TCR will accept returns or refunds on tvs, they have far too much to lose. I returned 2 Panny +1 Sony to JL with no issues, cant see TCR shops being that easy!

There is absolutely no chance that these dealers on TCR will accept returns or refunds on tvs, they have far too much to lose. I returned 2 Panny +1 Sony to JL with no issues, cant see TCR shops being that easy!

I'm currently in the process of trying to get a replacement plasma tv from a local TCR store as it was "not as described" and "not fit for purpose" under the Sales of Goods Act, I will see what happens. When I went there face to face the staff were dismissive as expected. They are nice to you in order to get your money, then once you've paid they no longer give a crap about you. I've already sent a formal letter of complaint and I wonder if they will even respond.

Anyway, never again will I buy expensive electrical goods from TCR. The only good thing really is that you can try to haggle the price and say "that shop over there is selling this for £200 cheaper". Not all stores on TCR are like this, it's usually only with the small "one shop" dealers. If you need good after sales service look elsewhere as I would personally go to JL too.

It gets really frustrating when the trader tells you to go away and go direct to the manufacturer, when infact it is still their liability to deal with any issues. And then you have to argue your case under the Sale of Goods Act if they don't want to do anything.

GRRRR

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom