Buying from Teleland - a word of caution

Status
Not open for further replies.

JocktheRock

Standard Member
Reaction score
For those of you who are contemplating a TV purchase from Teleland Ltd. I thought I'd share my recent and still ongoing experience.

I ordered a Hanspree 32" HD Ready LCD TV from them 6 weeks ago and it was delivered 1 week after ordering. I wasn't happy with the quality of the picture and asked for a refund. The TV was collected 1 week after delivery and I was assured (via email) of a refund, less the cost of collection.

One month later and after trying to contact them via email I'm still waiting for that refund. Phoning is a waste of time as calls divert to answerphone. Their website has been stating for a month or so that you should "PLEASE NOTE THAT OUR PHONE SYSTEM IS CURRENTLY UNDERGOING REPAIR AND WE THEREFORE RECOMMEND CONTACTING US VIA EMAIL".

I have just posted off a letter to their MD explaining all of this, I'll let you know what transpires....

If its been more than one month since they collected it you should notify your credit card company as well.

I received an email from them while I was out apologising and stating that the refund has been processed. Apparently the guy who deals with this sort of thing was off ill and he needed to authorise the refund.
I'll let you know when the refund hits my bank account.

Good point about the credit card company, n00b.

I checked my bank account this morning (8th Sept.) and, true to their word, the refund has been made.

All in all, I can't say that I'll order from them again, they were good on price but pretty poor on customer service. Purchasing over the 'net is covered by the Distance Selling Regulations which determine, among other things, refunds during the 7 day cooling off period:-

“The effective date for cancellations under the DSRs is the date on which the consumer gives notice of cancellation to you.”

And regarding the timescale for refunds:-

“As soon as possible after the consumer cancels, and in any case within 30 days at the latest.”

Teleland were outside the 30 day limit for the refund and only appear to have processed it after I had sent an email stating the possibility of legal action. The message I took from their reply is that there's only one employee capable of processing refunds and if he's off sick then you'll have to wait for your refund....that doesn't fill me with confidence.

By their own admission the T&C's on their website are out of date - "Ignore a lot of the things written on the terms and conditions, they are very old and hardly any of it applies" - that doesn't fill me with confidence, either.

Incidently to return the TV - "£29.50 + £10 collect surcharge that our couriers charge us".......

If you want to know anything about the Distance Selling Regulations then check out the link below...

http://www.oft.gov.uk/advice_and_resources/resource_base/legal/distance-selling-regulations/

Well it's been a full week since I sent a "next day delivery" letter to the MD regarding the issues mentioned below and although I eventually received my refund I've received no reply to the letter.
On their website is a section entitled "10 Reasons to buy from us", Reason Number 10 states "We pride ourself on fast service. Delivery is usually only next working day once payment has been received." So they respond to a sale quickly but customer support seems to be somewhat less speedy.

Draw your own conclusions....

I won't judge them until I hear their side, but I can tell you that your thread has damaged them to a tune more than it cost you in £££, so you got your result:)

I honestly hoped that I'd get a reply from them, Dognosh. Some sort of indication that customer care was as equally important to them as selling you a TV in double-quick time.
I posted this as I hate companies taking the [circumventing the swear filter, word removed by Curly99] when it comes to getting your money back and just wanted to let anyone who was about to part with their hard earned cash know that the flip side of the coin wasn't so shiney....

Turbo'd 'Busa?????????????? Are you in some sort of hurry to get somewhere?

I know about [circumventing the swear filter, word removed by Curly99] customer care and am in total agreement with you:(
it is very frustrating, as I am myself in the middle of one dispute with an eBay seller, he has agreed to take back his abortion of a product that he dared sell me but will not reimburse me for my return postage,so that will go to a dispute panel:mad:

the busa is my road bike(pleasure only) and it was turbod 4 years ago and I have not had the need to change it since nothing better has come out on the road so far(or faster):devil:

Ah yes, Ebay....nuff said. I gave up buying from there last year, too many lying bastids!!

Between myself and the other half we've got a Ducati 750SS, a Kwak ER500, a Cagiva E750 Elefant and a Beemer GS650. The ER and the GS are hers, though the Kwak is up for sale. The Ducati has been tweaked a bit and puts out more grunt than a 900SS. The Elefant needs to be stripped and rebuilt, despite not having the time I'm too sentimental about the thing to get rid of it!
Not quite in the same class as your Suzuki, though...

Four years out of a Turbo'd 'Busa is some going, has it been in any bike mags?

you seem to be very strict curly, no problem, so how about you be fair and equal as well ?
here is a post that circumvented the profanity filter but the poster got no hassle from the mods
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5471175&postcount=27

as and when I find more of these AVF rule infractions I will make you aware of it, which a good AVF member should do anyway

you seem to be very strict curly, no problem, so how about you be fair and equal as well ?
here is a post that circumvented the profanity filter but the poster got no hassle from the mods
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5471175&postcount=27

as and when I find more of these AVF rule infractions I will make you aware of it, which a good AVF member should do anyway
just a forum rule to keep the threads on topic so anyone searching or needing info doesn't have to wade through lots of offtopic stuff, thanks for highlighting the other post, but you need to report it in the forum it is in, to do this click the red triangle sign in the left column and this brings it to the attention of the appropriate mod for that forum.

Curly

This is the final word on this...one month after sending a recorded letter to their MD I've received no response.
Although I eventually got my refund I'm disappointed that they couldn't be bothered to reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom