Buying from Music Magpie

vickster

Distinguished Member
A friend of mine needs a new phone and is looking at the Pixel 5. She’s not bought a second hand phone before. Cex OOS in black grade A but Music Magpie have one described as Refurb Pristine.
Has anyone bought from them before, what was the experience and service like? How would it compare to CEX if anyone knows?
Any other highly regarded sellers of warrantied used/refurbs out there?
Cheers

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Not a phone but I have bought CDs from Music Magpie in the past, very good service overall. They once sent a sealed music Blu-ray instead of the used CD which I'd purchased, when I notified them they simply issued a refund and said to keep it. I have no idea if they'd be as positively blasé with their phones but due to the sheer volume they sell I doubt you'd have any issues if a problem did arise. As you may already know using a credit card for purchases over £100 should afford some protection in the worst case scenario.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Thanks, I’ve bought CDs too without issue but a £400+ phone is a bit different :)

She’s now not sure about the Pixel 5 having read some people find it buggy etc (all phones have shortcomings).
Issue is she wants a smaller phone but not an iPhone. New Androids seem to all have a 6” or bigger screen unfortunately

Romey

I would say go for it. I work at a similar company, although not in the UK. Very similar set up.

People tend not to buy used phones because they fear battery life and general quality, and like the feeling of a new product. If you can get over those mental hurdles there's a decent saving vs new, and more cover/customer service than buying from a market.

Battery life will be a bit worse... That's not worth the premium for a new phone to many.

Romey

Other example would be backmarket. Have bought from them doing some mystery shopping. No issues.

dongagon

I have both from Music Magpie a number of times and have no complaints. They are very good on the customer service front plus there is a 14 money back promise (not sure whether it is price dependent), so if you are not completely happy, you can return it

Fade In

Personally I don't like MusicMagpie.

Their stuff is overpriced compared to CeX and reputable eBay traders like cheapest_electrical. I've seen them selling 'Pristine' (but not brand new and missing the box etc) iPhones for the same price as a new device from Apple.

Their 'Excellent' or worse graded devices from my experience have been worse than competitor's equivalent grades. A 'Grade A' from CeX for example is basically as new and will include everything in mint condition, whereas MusicMagpie's 'Pristine' is a phone that may or may not be mint and will only include a basic third party charging cable and sim removal tool, no original box.

My last order from them (before I stopped using them) was a 'Pristine' device but had noticeable hairline scratches on the glass.

If you need to return anything, they can take their time too and their customer service is patchy at best.

I avoid them.

prking

Personally I don't like MusicMagpie.

Their stuff is overpriced compared to CeX and reputable eBay traders like cheapest_electrical. I've seen them selling 'Pristine' (but not brand new and missing the box etc) iPhones for the same price as a new device from Apple.

Their 'Excellent' or worse graded devices from my experience have been worse than competitor's equivalent grades. A 'Grade A' from CeX for example is basically as new and will include everything in mint condition, whereas MusicMagpie's 'Pristine' is a phone that may or may not be mint and will only include a basic third party charging cable and sim removal tool, no original box.

My last order from them (before I stopped using them) was a 'Pristine' device but had noticeable hairline scratches on the glass.

If you need to return anything, they can take their time too and their customer service is patchy at best.

I avoid them.
I don’t agree, I’ve bought two handsets from them. Both described as Excellent. There were no cosmetic marks on them at all. The battery health was greater than 95%.

The latest video from AVForums

Prey + Bullet Train reviews, Heat 4K + Event Horizon 4K and all the latest movies and TV news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom