Buying from Ebay?

Griff85

Established Member
Reaction score
Been looking at buying a macbook and thought i'd have a look on ebay for one, Has anyone ever bought one from there? Obviously the risk is the same as buying anything else off ebay

Got all these on the wishlist
Apple Laptops | eBay

None of them are refurbished ones just people selling them 2nd hand, some are even brand new still sealed

Also how much of a difference does the screen resolution make between the 1440 x 900 and the 1680 x 1050

I wouldn't mind getting the basic 4GB memory and 500GB HD as im correct these can both be upgraded? Can the processor also be upgraded?

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
The risk isn't really any greater than any second hand deal. The old adage of 'buy the buyer' stands true, in that making sure you're confident that the buyer is safe is the most important thing. If the buyer seems a bit odd, walk.

I'd start by looking at the For Sale section here though, as there are always Macbooks for sale of various ages, sizes, specs and prices. If nothing stands out, pop up a 'Wanted' advert and see what happens. At least then you'll be buying from somebody whose history you can read up on first.

To answer your resolution question, it makes a very big difference. I paid the extra for the 1680x1050 screen as 1440x900 on a 15" screen is way too low. The extra resolution really makes the most of the physical size, it's better for almost every scenario you can think of.
The anti-glare option is also nice to have, as although it loses some of the glossy shine it makes it massively more practical.

And yes, both the RAM and HDD can easily be upgraded. The rear panel unscrews and reveals both, it's a really easy job so long as you know one end of a screwdriver from the other :)

Is the screen upgradable as well i take it?

Thanks for the help

Check sellers feedback VERY carefully. Some of the feedback is very informative.

Id buy from here,or apple refurb.

Are the Apple refurbs good enough to suit your budget? Have a look there first, starts from ÂŁ639 (11") MBA.

Is the screen upgradable as well i take it?

Thanks for the help

I wouldn't like to try it, but anything is possible if you're a clever enough electrical engineer. It's certainly not considered a 'user replaceable' part like HDD's and RAM.

The refurbs on the apple website arn't that much cheaper, some arn't even cheaper at all

As others have stated, just be sure you are buying from someone trustworthy. I just bought a MBA mid 11 base model for 426 in del. It arrived in perfect cond and 5 months warranty. This beat the average price paid on here by some margin so always best to look at the options

eBay can also give bargain at times. My huge feedback on eBay shows my confidence in the system, although as always there are bad sheep everywhere inc. on here.

One of my mate got an absolutely bargain last month from eBay. Mid 2011 MacBookAir 11" for about 400 quid including extra RAM/HDD etc... Originally costing just under a grand.

But as everyone else noted, check the buyer's feedback before you start looking at the product. Beware of any recent negative feedback, if any at all. And if the deal sounds good to be true, it probably is.

Your mates deal sounds too good to be true though?

Just playing anyway fella. I have used eBay regularly for getting great prices on selling whilst also getting great deals on purchases too. Certainly a worthwhile place to start looking.

Surprisingly enough, both these buys were between 4 and 5 pm! The problem I have is telling the missus I've bought it!

What's the difference between the early 2011 models and the late 2011 ones? Can they still be upgraded the same?

The later 2011 models got a slight spec boost as standard, but were based on the same architecture. The big change was 2011-2012. They can all be upgraded equally.

More than before now you've alerted everyone to it. :-(

What's so good/different about this machine on eBay that makes it better than the Apple refurb at ÂŁ1149? Apart (of course) from the AppleCare...

EDIT: and the higher resolution display...

Last edited:
What's so good/different about this machine on eBay that makes it better than the Apple refurb at ÂŁ1149? Apart (of course) from the AppleCare...

Have to say, I'd know where I would spend my money on one in this case - definitely the Apple refurb store as much better value and ending price with a year warranty in perfect condition.

Refurb store for sure. Next day delivery usually too.

Just realised how much its gone up to!! Least now i have a guideline price of how much 2nd hand ones go for! Whats the warranty with a refurb?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom