1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying from computer fair ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by HMHB, Dec 13, 2003.

1. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,896
    My neighbour has asked for my advice on buying a computer for his grandughter for Christmas. He's going to a computer fair today and asked what I feel about buying 2nd hand. I said that I'm always dubious about 2nd hand computer systems as you're never quite sure what you are getting and never sure about support etc. Has anyone any experience of buying from fairs ?
    Also, I said I'd look on the net for the cheapest new system. Ive found a good looking one from Mesh for £499 including VAT
    Mesh system
    This has comes with a printer and a webcam - a printer would be essential for him. Does anyone know of anything of similar price or less ?

2. Bondy007

Bondy007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't buy any second hand PC kit from the computer fairs because they can usually have anything from half decent XP2000 systems through to pentium 75 relics. But you should be able to build a complete system at the fair a little cheaper than buying a pre-built PC from a internet/high street company

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    That Mesh system is superb value for money imo. I've been researching systems for colleages at work and haven't been able to find anything comparable to that spec for the money (even with delivery £39 exc. vat). It'll do everything he'll possibly need and then some. It's not quite styled the way I like but I have seen a lot worse and for that price who cares. It doesn't mention what geforce 4 card it is (I'm thinking ti4200 maybe) but if that's the bottleneck he could always upgrade later on. Still it's a great card and will be capable of playing all the latest games.
    I'd steer clear of 2nd hand as you never know what your getting and you have no back up should anything go wrong. The Mesh has three years of return to base support so should give piece of mind.

He should bite their hand off :D