Buying from abroad

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Greyhound, Oct 11, 2000.

1. Greyhound

Greyhound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me (generally speaking)whether buying a DVD from the states (to be played on a chipped player)works out to be a lot cheaper - including P & P - than buying the equivalent R2 DVD over here? If so, how much are the savings and what are the reconmended sites?

Thanks

2. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    Yes I would thoroughly recommend buying DVDs from abroad. I have bought 1 DVD locally (the Matrix which was my 1st). I only did this as I wanted to have a disc when my player arrived. Since then I have 2 sources of discs - either 2nd hand through sites like this, or from ABSOUND.CA, a Canadian supplier. They are in the Top3 in terms of price and delivery to UK/Ireland takes approx 7 days. In you check out their site you will see that you can have most DVDs delivered for around 11.00 (or not much more). They even have a sale section, where I have got a few DVDs such as Shawshank & Fargo for about 9.00 delivered. Beat that !! Another supplier I would recommend would be SECONDSPIN.COM - they supply 2nd hand discs. Since I have started ordering discs through the Net, I have not even looked at discs in places like Virgin since. I can't see myself paying 17.99 again for a DVD.

3. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    Sorry, forgot to say that to get the prices on the site into sterling divide by 2.1 (when Stg was strong I was able to divide by 2.3 - that was good)

4. Greyhound

Greyhound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. Are there any duty to be paid once they arrive here and would there be any problems with customs?

5. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    I have not had any problems with Customs or duty (so far). What I have done up to now is to order 2 discs at a time. I believe, from reading other posts regarding this, that there is some sort of value amount that you have to pass before you can get charged by Customs for import duty. I did not want to tempt fate, so I keep my packages small thus hopefully not attracting the attention of Customs.

6. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Anything over 18 pounds will be subject to customs. But there are ways to get around small shipments : www.dvdboxoffice.com send all thiers in single packages, with free p+p and based in Canada with the Canadian dollar quite weak it works out quite cheap. www.amazon.com or www.play247.com both ship from within europe, Amsterdam and Jersy respecivly and therefore not subject to import troubles.

Region 1 purchases can be cheaper, earlier, more/better features/ no audio pitch change than PAL. Its easy and safe to do and should really be an option to consider.

7. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Another vote for absound.ca
    I ordered a disc on a Tuesday evening and it arrived in the UK on Friday morning !!!
    I also use dv-depot.com ; dvdboxoffice.com ; play247.com ; encoredirect.co.uk and if you're in the UK why not rent for £2.75p per week at ukdvdrentals.co.uk ... Paul [​IMG]

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

8. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the absound link, will give them a try. If you want to rent, try your local library! Mine have a selection of the latest DVD's, £1.50 for 2 days. Blockbuster who?

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com