Buying friend DLC - would this work?

markie g

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey

I've had an idea to buy my friend castle crashers as they don't have any points and i have quite a large amount on my account.

I have bought castle crashers on my console. If i was to recover my gamertag on my friends console then bought him it (another 1200MSP). Then deleted my gamertag from his console. Could we both play it online at the same time?

Would this work?

Last edited:
correct me if i'm wrong but i think downloads are tied to a Gamertag, if you went to download it on his console, would it not give you the option to 'download again' rather than to purchase it?

I believe its to the console ID. Hence why you have to transfer the license if you want to use it on another console.

I suppose if there is something cheap enough you could test it? Are there any really cheap live games or maybe even a theme or something?

i think you could be right.
im sure ive heard of people buying games on their console and other people have played the game on that console with a different GT.
but i think when you play it on your own console you will have to be signed into live for it to play

oh no ive just thought, i dont think you can buy something twice.
im sure it will say already purchased.
therefore you could only recover your GT on his console then download the game, but it could only be played with your GT while online

Hey

I've had an idea to buy my friend castle crashers as they don't have any points and i have quite a large amount on my account.

I have bought castle crashers on my console. If i was to recover my gamertag on my friends console then bought him it (another 1200MSP). Then deleted my gamertag from his console. Could we both play it online at the same time?

Would this work?
In theory, this would work, yes. Every download has 2x licenses attached to it, one tied to the console you downloaded it to first and one of the gamertag that bought it. If the game was downloaded first on your mates console, then he will be able to use it, even when you're not logged in. You can then download it again on your console, and so long as you're logged into Live, you will be able to play it.

Having said that, I've not tried it myself. In theory, MS could also have introduced a check that the same instance of the same game isn't available for use in 2 places at once while logged into Live...

It won't work because you won't be able to buy it again on his console with your gamertag, as you've already bought it once. It will only let you download it again on his console, but then the game will only work if he's signed in with your gamertag.

It won't work because you won't be able to buy it again on his console with your gamertag, as you've already bought it once. It will only let you download it again on his console, but then the game will only work if he's signed in with your gamertag.
^^ Actually, what he said. I only just noticed that you've already bought it and downloaded it. What I said is right, but you've already lost the console license as I described it. No can do.

Thanks for your replies.. the thing is tho..

I originally bought castle crasher on my old console which RROD. When i got my new console i wanted to download it again but when i went to download it said "buy now" not re-download/download. If it was as simple as downloading it on the new console then why would the transfer license tool exist?

Thanks for your replies.. the thing is tho..

I originally bought castle crasher on my old console which RROD. When i got my new console i wanted to download it again but when i went to download it said "buy now" not re-download/download. If it was as simple as downloading it on the new console then why would the transfer license tool exist?
That shouldn't have happened. I have switched to 2x new consoles and it has always recognised I've previously purchased content and offers to download again rather than buy again. It's designed to be impossible to pay for something twice on the same gamertag.

The transfer license tool exists to transfer all your console licenses to a new console, so they can be played on that console offline or by someone else. It doesn't affect the gamertag license.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom