1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying first plasma prob Pan42PDW6/7

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by xx396, Jan 3, 2005.

1. xx396

xx396
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a budget of about £2000 to buy a new TV and DVD/Surround sound setup for the family living room. It will more than likely be going on a desk stand or something rather than hanging on the wall.

I've been doing my research of the best plasma TV's in this range and its always the ones above that are being touted as the best. Although I also saw a lot of respect for the Hitachi 42PD5200.

I keep getting ads shoved under my nose for ones such as Tiny, Goodmans for £1000 and I'm like no no no no! The Panny is only £1300 from Richer Sounds all inclusive and thats cheaper than anywhere. Unfortunately I've only just realised thats display only and it'll cost like another 200-300 or whatever to adapt it to our setup whereas they now have it in their heads that they'll only need to spend £1500! I never realised this was so complicated :)

I guess I do have a soft spot for the Hitachi on that front seen as it'll probably all work out the box. It has a lot of the connections I come to expect like RGB SCARTs, tv tuner, and has speakers etc. I do like the idea of it being ready to go but its more money and if anyone can help determining what I'd need to make the Panny work well and if its worth it, I'd be most appreciative.

1) I'm buying a DVD player and 5.1 speakers as well so can ensure it has component output and DD/DTS decoder built in. On the DVD front, what is possible and the best option out of direct component connection, RGB scart into the scart adaptor provided or using the JS VGA converter I've heard about.

2) We have SKY but also use the terrestrial channels on those occasions where its more reliable (our SKY isn't brilliant, probably need a new decoder) or are taping on SKY so have to watch something from the aerial. We're not interested in SKY+ because we may not even be on SKY much longer, in favour of a freeview digibox. My point here is that although the aerial picture is bound to be terrible, I think I may rock the boat and annoy them if I say you can *only* use digital and therefore can't record while watching something else, and can't watch anything if digital is playing silly buggers and not working well. Is it possible to plug the aerial into a VCR and scart the VCR into the TV to watch aerial stuff instead of getting an expensive TV tuner or a display with one built in?

3) If I have 3 devices with the VCR, digibox, DVD going through one RGB splitter for example; presumably the VCR can be tuned into regular terrestrial or SKY and will record fine no matter what the other devices are doing. Then technically the one AV channel can either watch a DVD, watch SKY or, watch a video or whatever TV channel the VCR is tuned into. Thereby creating essentially the same setup we have at the moment. Is this all a fair assumption?

4) What do I do with sound?! DVD will have 6 outputs straight into the subwoofer or via one stream and then a DD decoder. But if the set doesn't have speakers, what can I do with it from VCR or SKY. Does this display at least have 2 phono outputs so that anything coming in can be routed into for example a decoder (mine has slots for a DD stream and phono inputs). The 2 channels then just get dispersed throughout the 6 speakers. On the other hand I wanted to bypass a decoder by hooking the DVD straight into the subwoofer. I don't know if you can do stereo sound like this. Or would I just be better off getting tv speakers.

My apologies for this being so long. I guess I'm looking essentially for a list of things to buy to achieve what we have at the moment. I also obviously want to get best picture performance from the digitial devices and have all sound go through one set of speakers whether it be 5.1 or stereo spread between them. I also realise that the majority of my post relates to the 6 model. Does the 7 have any more in built which would warrant getting that instead? I'm either looking at an online bundle where they package up the 6/7 with accessories, or getting it from RS as I've always had good dealings with them and getting the other stuff online.

Many Thanks
    Chris

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215