1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying films from abroad

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by IanB, Feb 19, 2002.

1. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A quick question.

Apart from the fact that you may want your film in a particular region version is it any cheaper buying from abroad?

OK you obviously find the cheapest price and purchase, but what about the Credit Card handling charge, has anybody found that they ended up spending more when the handling charge was applied to the final bill?

2. graham_ew

graham_ew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you mean buying DVDS from abroard in person or over the internet?? as for over the Internet I have never had a "handling Charge" (I'm with EGG) sometimes the price differs a little bit from the currency converter price but this is down to the rates changing and as for them being cheaper then the best bet at the moment is Australia (about $2.6 to the £1) Ive been gettin the Buffy series from www.ezydvd.com.au for about £45 shipped not bad when its about £70 in the shops here they also have sales on with some very cheap discs.

Now if you mean buying DVDS in person abroad then I have not done this but I have used my credit card abroad before and also never been charged any extra.

3. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just watch out when ordering over £18 worth at a time. If customs gets hold of it there'll be a duty tax to pay. I think it's roughly equal to VAT. Some places will downmark the value of the order, or mark it as a gift sent from abroad, therefore not eligible for cutoms duty.

I've never had a problem. Ever (touch lots and lots of wood). But some people do get stung.

4. alboy

alboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use PLAY.COM and find them cheaper than most other online suppliers also they are based in Jersey so there is no customs surcharge problems for buyers in the uk

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,006
    I too get a lot of DVD’s from www.ezydvd.com.au strange when you can order them from the other side of the world, pay postage and package, and still get them a lot cheaper than over here, Even if Vat was added. Some ones makeing a lot of profit. I've just got Braveheart for £11.35.
    Also WB do not come in those nasty cardboard snappers.

6. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have got to say that cardboard packaging is CRAP! Is there really that much saving over the plastic wallets?

7. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My buying procedure usually consists of:

1. Going to www.dvdcompare.org.uk to find out which region is the best version of a film i want.

2. Then to www.dvdpricecheck.co.uk to see who has that version for the best price

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    you can still be charged a "customs charge" on orders over £18, even if they are shipped from Jersey, as they usually go via Belgium.

9. Grumpy

Grumpy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also use Ezy for my Buffy and Angel boxsets but unfortunately the last few times they have been caught by customs. It's not to much of a problem because it still works out cheaper than the high street shop prices.

You have to be carefull as some suppliers are not so 'custom friendly' and as pointon already said dvds over £18.00 are fair game. It is sometimes worth taking the chance because of the savings to be had.
    Try these:

www.absound.ca cheap & fast but not always custom friendly
    www.dvdboxoffice.com cheap but slow very customs friendly
    www.movietyme.com customs friendly
    www.play.com fast & cheap and customs friendly so much so if you get a customs charge they will refund it.