Buying DVD's in USA

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by drunkenmaster, Mar 27, 2006.

1. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Someone i know is visiting the Uinted States for 10 days tommorow and wanted to know if dvds purchased in USA are cheaper than here??

BTW this includes retail and the internet prices.

Thanks

2. shay0

shay0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489
    I was browsing a US forum the other week and from the sounds of it, it depends what offers are on, so it would probably be pot luck.

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    I think what you need to take account for in the US is that you have to pay tax at the checkout, it's not included in the store price. It's also very dependent on the exchange rate you manage to get when you go out there. I expect you might be able to find some bargains on older titles but new releases will probably end up being similarly priced to UK ones.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,309
    A bit cheaper, yes. Not jaw-dropping though. Give or take special offers and the like. Ask your acquaintance to try and find a "Best Buy" or "Circuit City". Usually cheaper than in-mall stores by USD5.00 or so. Add tax at the till, varies from state to state - 5, 6, 7, 8% or thereabouts.

Personal Customs allowance is currently GBP145 per person. Anything over this (theoretically) attracts duty and VAT.

Oh, and, you do have a multi-region player, don't you?

5. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Totally agree with LV426 - there are some bargains to be had, but it's best to be there in person to have a hunt. Otherwise savings are marginal.

As to personal allowance - again LV426 is correct, but last trip I came back with 29 titles (inc. about 7-8 boxsets). And a Nintendo DS. And a Digital Camera.

Yeah, went a little mad.......... ;)

6. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Agreed. Though I found a much much greater selection of Box sets and collections etc. That was in LA though so you kinda expect a good selection being available. (local cinemas not bad either...)
    Just take along a price list from your favourite importer - Discemporium or some such and make the call when there.

7. Deeez Nuuutz

Deeez Nuuutz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,127
    A friend of mine went to New York recently and i asked him to get me Batman SE and Sin City recut extended unrated whilst over there.

Batman worked out @ £16.50 and Sin City @ £18 i think.

I could of just got Batman for the same price on the net so was no biggie but then a week later someone was selling Sin City on these forums for £16 inc

The funny thing was i held off buying for a couple of weeks from release date for him to go to the states and get them, thinking it would be cheaper Doh!

Saying that i'm not too sure whether he shopped around or not

8. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    They are much cheaper if you can order them on the web at, say, dvdempire.com. They used to deliver them to hotel addresses, but not sure if they still do that. otheriwise, if you have a friend there then try his address. you might have an issue with delivery/credit card address being different. I used to do it all the time when I travelled there regularly, but haven't done it for a few years.

In the shops they are quite expensive plus you have the annying sales tax as well.

9. rhythmslave

rhythmslave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    If you're looking for new dvds then Borders and FYE are both good stores, and have good offers on new titles. Older titles can be picked up quite cheaply also.
    If you don't mind ex-rental then you can pick up some bargains at places like Blockbuster.

10. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    another just depends from me. if you plan what you might want and get familiar with prices from cdwow and play it helps, altho the exchange rate can be confusing

bearing in mind you can only (legally) bring back so much worth of stuff without paying customs duty, i found myself better off using play/cdwow for most stuff, and instead i would usually go for items in the sale, or stuff you couldn't easily get/import into the uk

i found best buy was a great store, with a great selection and great pricing, but some of the more expensive stores like suncoast had better selections of titles, but again it depends on what your after. i managed to pick up a load of great soul cineman/blaxploitation titles that i couldn't easily get on import and weren't available in the uk, plus i got them really cheap from best buy, resorting to suncoast and other places for a few elusive titles

if bringing back loads of titles, you may want to get a cd wallet and put them in that and leave the amaray cases behind. perhaps keeping one or two to put the dvd sleeves in. of course you shouldn't do this to try and bring back more dvds than you customs duty allows :D

11. Ger

Ger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I wouldn't bother getting new releases at all in shops over there. They are more expensive than CDWOW and Play (although cheaper than highstreet shops here). I was in Arizona a few weeks ago and the only DVDs I bought were a few box sets from a shop that was closing down and had 40% off everything:thumbsup: Otherwise, I wouldn't have bought anything.

12. pmc

pmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Also bear in mind that if you buy them over there they will all be speaking with American accents.

13. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    i keep meaning to order a region 1 DVD to test out my 3910 since i hacked it....lol

i normally buy DVD's in my local sainsburys, they seem to tick most films up at £12 with the odd few at £15.....thats brand new releases.....apart from Will Smith films, dont ask me why but his have been the only films released at stupid prices in the last while, around £19 to £22.....i think one was Bad Boys 2.....but was another one or two i saw as well......surprised it hasnt priced him out of the market.....lol

14. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I visit the US about 4-5 times a year with work and I haven't bought much there at all, even though I make it my personal business to visit as much av shops as possible.

I have only bought box sets that have the extra's that the boxsets in the US/Ireland don't have. (West Wing in particular)
    The prices are as good as here in Ireland where somewhere like hmw with their 3 for €30 offers are actually cheaper than the US. I prefer places like play, cd wow etc.

There isn't much benefit of buying them in the shops in the US,although you can pick up some bargains in bestbuy. Stay away from Borders in my opinion -overprices when I compared them on numerous occasions.