1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying DVD's from the USA

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by martind, Sep 7, 2005.

1. martind

martind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Not to sure if i am allowed to ask, if not can a mod please remove this thread.

In my bedroom i have recently setup my samsung 26" lcd to a new pioneer av receiver with canton cd1 speakers.

I am now looking to start buying a couple of a DVD's a week and am interested in getting region1's direct from the USA. In the past i have normally just bought the odd DVD from HMV or Virgin, in my lunch hour at work.

My questions are.......

Are there any import taxes on DVD purchased online from the USA (duty etc)

What are the best (trust worthy, cost, delivery time) sites to use (i have an account with Amazon.co.uk and was thinking of using amazon.com)

Are there any issues with purchasing DVD that are not released here yet (such as 'Lost - Series1 DVD')

Cheers

Martin

2. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    anything over £17.99 could be hit for customs IIRC anything under that you will be fine. one thing id say is visit our forum sponsor movietyme for your R1 disc's :) no customs charge's from what ive heard (ive never ordered anything over £18 from them)

3. grimoor

grimoor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I take it you do have a multi region DVD player :) I know a few friends who still don't.

There is nothing worng with ordering region 1 DVDs.

Best to find places that do free delivery so you are ordering one thing at a time.

Places like Amazon.com can be good, but they charge a delivery cost, which make you think of ordering more to make it worth while. Then they package it all together and then there is a chance it will go through customs. I have found that if they use a courier like UPS this happens alot. So if you use someone like them and have the option get it deliveried by normal mail (just takes a bit long to get) and you should hopefully be ok.

CD-WOW (I use alot) which isn't in the US, but sells region 1 as well other regions sends DVDs separately no matter how many you order and I have never had one go through customs. Also Free delivery.

DVDboxoffice (Canadian) I have used occasionally and they do free delivery as well, although their prices can be a little more than some other places.

4. martind

martind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks for the info and especially thanks to Kopite4ever for Baros :thumbsup: , he ran his nads off against Blackburn :eek: , scored on his debut :clap: :clap: and paired up well with Phillips :smashin: (sorry off the subject a bit there).

Anyway, I like the look of the movietyme site and could well be putting my business through them.

Cheers and thanks again.

Martin

PS Up the Villa :D !

5. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    i was going to offer some advice then i saw the above. :D

The words ever villa fan dreads to hear "we have the technology to make Doug Ellis the worlds first immortal bionic man..... " :D

Linky
    Linky
    Linky

Gary
    (A baggie in case your wondering :smashin:)

6. Glenzo

Glenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Yeah I quite like Movietyme but also use and have used a lot of the others. A big plus for www.movietyme.com is that they often send you pre-orders before they are on the shelves stateside, the prices are very good and they accept Paypal.

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    you can buy region 1 dvds from amazon.co.uk marketplace sellers
    just type "NTSC" on the end of your search. Postage is £1.24, all transactions fully guaranteed by amazon.

playusa.com is also very good, if a bit pricey.

8. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,367
    The best sites for Region 1 releases are Movietyme, CDWow, Loaded247 and Axel Music as they are all customs safe so you dont have to worry about the £18 limit plus they all offer free shipping and even better, alot of the time they get titles in early and ship straight away so you sometimes get your order weeks before release :thumbsup: