Buying DVD's from the U.S.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Lee J B, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Lee J B

Lee J B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

This is probably a noobie question, but basically there's a DVD that I want from the U.S.A. amazon website (I'm in the UK) and I have a few questions concerning this....

1) I'll be purchasing the DVD's from my bank debit card - will the website just convert the $ amount to £'s at the exchange rate of the day, then deduct that figure?

2) Do they add an overly expensive P & P charge to the amount?

3) Is purchasing from amazon in the states reliable? Do you have less come-back if things go wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Lee

2. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I can't remember if I ordered via my debit card, but in answer to your other questions here goes:

The shipping depends how quickly you want the film, I bought the 1st version of the Alien box set, I asked for courier and got hit with £25 in customs and courier admin costs... I ordered another box set and had it sent via normal post, it took 16 days to arrive, but I paid no charges at all.

I have never had any problems using Amazon.com, it just takes longer to sort things out on the odd occasion I have had a problem.

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    buy from
    playusa.com
    dvdsoon.com
    dvdboxoffice.com

playusa prices in Pounds delivery (5-10 days)
    dvdsoon is in canadian dollars (just 1/2 the $ price) but are very slow
    dvdboxoffice is just another choice, fast but costly, I prefer playusa

all give free delivery and are cheaper than amazon.com

4. girliedrinker

girliedrinker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like the man says, to save some pennies avoid Amazon and go for DVD Soon if you can. I've only ever ordered a handful of new releases from them but I've received them all in a matter of days, so I don't consider them slow. About as good as DVD Box Office only cheaper, I'd say.

Use www.xe.com for latest exchange rates. And yes, it's all converted automatically on your credit card bill. As mentioned, there might be some risk of a customs charge if your order has a value of greater than £18 but there are some companies who are considered "customs friendly". I'm sure others can elaborate but as a rule I don't buy things above £18 so I'm not hit with a surcharge.

5. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +706
    What are the best etailer that are based in the US. I am fed up with DVDsoon and I am also beginning to hate bi lingual covers, I am buying more and more from movie tyme but they are a bit expensive.

6. eas4uk

eas4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Use the forums link and use cd-wow... Pretty much all the new R1 is sold and the shipping is pretty quick

Price is never drastically different from DVDSoon and they have changed there shipping routes you shouldn't get stung by customs at all... :smashin:

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,886
    BEFORE YOU BUY......

You do have a multi-region player, don't you? If you don't understand the question, it's probably a good idea that you don't import any DVDs. If you do understand it and the answer is "no" ....ditto. If the answer is "yes" I'm sorry to have mentioned it.

8. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No way!!!!

Don't buy from Play usa. A total rip off!!!!!!!! Best 2 places for Region 1's are Amazon.com/.ca and cdwow.

9. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If you tell us which film you want to order, we might be able to point you in the right direction. DVD Soon are great for pre-ordered new releases, but if it's an older release, you could wait months. I agree with the comments above that Amazon are quite expensive. CD Wow are probably your best bet overall, unless it's something fairly obscure you're after. I would have recommended DVD Pacific, but they've recently had a problem with security on their website, so I think people are giving them a wide berth for the moment. You could also try DVD Import, who sometimes have even better prices than DVD Soon, but, again, can be slow to ship.

10. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    US companies don't normally accept debit cards,only credit card.PLAY USA are not in the USA and accept debit cards.CDWOW are good for new releases,but anything remotely off the mainstream or more than a few months old and they won't even have it for sale.PLAY are generally the best for orders under £18 but over that you risk customs charges.Enterprises dvd are good for £18+ orders in that all charges are prepaid-no surprise surcharges.Other places have cheaper initial prices,but its just luck whether they get through without additional charges.A £23 USA order was surcharged £10.Ripoff

11. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    'Lee J B', I believe that acceptance of a debit card depends on the card.

I use a Barclays Connect card (Visa/Delta) and haven't had a problem buying from any on-line retailer - regardless of location.

As for where to buy, the list already given should point you in the right direction. I can't give further recommendation, as I have only used DVD Soon thus far - though all should be well with any of the companies. In terms of delay, unlike some members, I haven't had any real problems with DVD Soon. Most discs have arrived within a week, with only my three most recent orders taking longer (by the way, all orders have included 'free delivery'). I made one order on the second of August, with two more on the fifth. I received shipping confirmations on the ninth, seventeenth and twentieth of August - with the first two discs arriving between three and five days after the confirmation e-mail. I guess the last should arrive by mid-week.

Particularly recently, there have been several complaints within the forums regarding long delays; but considering the prices and my experience so far, it is very easy for me to remain patient. Hey, they're only DVDs...

However, I can understand how a wait of several months could be another matter. So far, so good though :smashin:

12. Lee J B

Lee J B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe i should've mentioned that i'm actually looking at buying is the box-set of sienfeld - which hasn't yet been released in the UK. Many sites in the U.S. don't seem to sell sienfeld, but i noticed on amazon.com seasons 1+2 and 3 are on sale for about $38-ish each. I'm guessing i'm going to be stung with a customs charge here, cause that works out as slightly above the £18 limit. If anyone comes across a good site that is selling sienfeld box-sets, then please let me know!

13. Lee J B

Lee J B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    .........i've just realised that the sienfeld seasons 1-3 arn't out until the end of November! And the thing that makes this even more annoying is the fact that I'm going to be in Boston for a week in mid november, and i'll miss the release date by about a week!!! DAMN!!

14. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Many US retailers ship new releases up to 3 weeks early. It would be interesting to see if new releases could also be bought early over the counter.

15. AlanL

AlanL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I may be wrong, but I think these sets are coming out in the UK, and possibly a month earlier than in the US. They are not yet listed on UK sites, but keep a look out, because you will probably get stung badly for customs if you order them from the US (especially if you opt for Amazon!)

16. AlanL

AlanL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A site called powerplaydirect.com (which I've never heard of before) has the UK release date as October 25th

17. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Powerplaydirect.com are OK, but they are sometimes slow at shipping, and new releases often don't ship until at least a week after the release date.

18. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sienfeld also available to preorder from DVD Import, but not sure if they would accept your card.

19. h0l1yw0od

h0l1yw0od

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm looking to get the R1 Star Wars boxset and obviously i don't want to get hit for customs. The only place i know where to avoid this is Movietyme but they are charging £15 more then everywhere else.

Where would you all recommend i order it from, i thought CDWow got caught for customs these days?

20. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Apparently, CD Wow now ship through Europe, so there should be no customs charges, but I can't confirm that personally. The customs warnings have definitely disappeared, which might be taken as a good sign. ;)

21. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seinfeld from Enterprises at £31.99 per season.They seem to be offering a 3 season set for £69.99-and no customs charges

22. Lee J B

Lee J B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've checked out enterprises but cant see sienfled anywhere....where abouts in the site is it hiding?

23. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  24. dej23

dej23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I ordered mine from amazon.com for £45, this is the gift set with all the freebies, have a made a wrong move?