1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying DVDs at full price.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by john87, Jun 23, 2002.

1. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have never done this. I'd rather wait a few years and get them when the price comes down... think about it this way - 5 DVDs for £100 isn't very many... 50 for a grand! :eek:

I'd rather get £8-£12 DVDs, ones on offer etc. Surely soon, when DVDs are released, they're prices won't be so high, because how many people buy them at £20 each. I'm probably wrong, but not many I would think.

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John,

I know you may find it difficult to shop on the Web because you can't get a credit card at your age, but as far as I'm concerned, a full price DVD is around £14.99-£15.99. That's the price that play.com and cd-wow.com charge. Cd-wow.com tend to drop the new releases to £13.99 or £12.99 quite quickly on new releases (and sometimes even further). I can't invisage paying £20 for a DVD unless it's a special edition and an absolutely corking film that I can't do without. You might want to get your parents in on your sales so you can shop on the web ;)

I agree that sometimes it's better to wait. Knowing that prices do drop, I tend to wait for some films. It all depends on what I'm willing to pay for the particular film in question. For example, I waited for Cast Away R1 to drop to £12.99 (it later dropped to £10.99) and for the Memento 2 disc special edition R1 to come on offer at £12.99.

As the prices drop, films can become more appealing. One thing I have learned though - no matter how cheap a DVD is, if you're not going to watch it, then there's no point in owning it just so it looks pretty on your shelf! It just takes up valuable room! :)

3. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Squirrel
    I had written a long and detailed reply to this thread when bloody aol crashed again.

I remember buying DVDs at 22.99 from USA when they were the cheapest available. At the time this seemed good value as laserdiscs were between 19.99 and 43.99.

As prices lowered I started to buy more films, some proved to be a mistake but at 7.99 who cares?

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I agree. I certainly don't buy DVDs from the high street. Full price for me is £14.99. :) (maybe £16.99 for a double disc spec ed) ;)

5. Stone Cold

Stone Cold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find it can be better to wait a while before buying a disc irrespective of price - I've bought titles before & then later found out a special edition was on the way... This gets me soooooooo mad!

6. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    The thing is the DVD market is regulated, there is a set trade price for a DVD, companys then get a set discount off the trade price of a DVD, this is based on how many they sell.

Companies like Play and under18s.com who are in the channel islands get to keep the vat on anything under £18 so they can then take the price down by 17.5%. So a £20 DVD can end up being 50% cheaper than it would be. Play are also quite sly with box sets etc over £18, if you get stung with cutoms they will pay it, so they get to make more money there.

This is the main reason why internet price are cheaper thanretail prices, this is also the reson why retail stores such as HMVmake so much bloody money.

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try adding a R1 box set to your basket now and see what happens! ;)

8. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    As a rule I don't order from them, but humour me what does it say?

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All on this thread...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41501

"The product you have selected will be shipped from North America and may be subject to import duties and taxes once it reaches your country. These and any additional charges must be borne by you. If you agree to pay these additional charges should they be levied click I AGREE below. If you do not wish to order this product click I DISAGREE below."

10. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shoka,

Are you sure about that under18s.com URL or are just trying to get a lot of people into trouble. :mad: :mad:

I just had a look as I'd never heard of it before and its not what I (or more importantly my boss) would consider appropriate material

If it was meant as a joke is a ****** poor one. If its a typo i apologise but you should check before you post.

11. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think its a typo as I remember going to site called that - that is, a DVD related one rather than from Adult Favourites :D

EDIT: Just found it - Under18

They have the now dodgy cheapo film range at £4.49 as well.

12. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
  13. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nimke and Jag,

Shoka,

Sorry for jumping but my company do have a VERY strict policy and all internet traffic is heavily montored. There are no second chances either. It's Gross misconduct for any form of 'adult' material.

14. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bill

Are you saying you are at work:confused:

How naughty of you to spend time on here when you should be working;)

15. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Who's Nimke?

16. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I quite agree. You won't catch me on the internet before 5.30pm as I signed a document saying that I wouldn't visit chat rooms or forums on company equipment. :D :) :D

17. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I deny everything...where's my lawyer... you cant prove a thing :D :D

I spend more time here than I do at home so I suppose they could grant a little leway for surfing. Half the guys in the office have been trying to book tickets for the Cricket World Cup all day.

Nimke,
    Very sorry... just goes to show we can all make typo's ;)

18. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ooo! Were they successful? How much did they pay? Now get back to work! :mad: :D

19. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Sorry for the typo earlier guys, anyone who got sacked because of it, tough luck you should have been working not surfing the internet. :D

20. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +943
    I never buy DvDs from the High street the only DvD i ever bought was T2 from HMV at £12.99, i buy all my other DvDs from play.com but since i dont have a credit card i have to get my parnets to get it me.

21. themadhippy

themadhippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for those of you without credit cards, smartcreds ,sort of pre pay credit card,maybe worth investigating,definatley accepted at cd wow

22. the badger

the badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find that Blockbuster frequently have very good discounts on brand new discs and they often have very good deals on ex rental discs which are in perfect condition. It is a gamble working out what discs are going to appear heavily discounted. DVDs seem to have a much shorter shelf life than videos which they used to keep on shelves till they rotted. If you wait too long for a disc to get discounted it might just get deleted. If I really must have something I tend to buy it from play 247. If I am unsure I tend to wait till I see it at a price I like.