1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying DVDR, more editing

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by EN, May 7, 2004.

1. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to buy DVD recorder to do folloing things:

1. I have over 50 VHS and S-VHS tape to be archived. 180 min each. After recording them on DVD I wish to make more rhan 40 chapters on the same and only title. R media I asume.

2. To record from external source and to be able to edit last recordind and to cut last few frames. RW media I asume.

3. I will record some of my family tapes on DVD to share them with friends, via I-link. R media I asume.

Which format should I use + or -?
    Which recorder to buy?

Thanks,
    EN

2. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't have much choice in formats.DVD+ has extremely limited editing features and will be no use to you for what you want to do.
    As editing and compatibility are both important,then a Pioneer 5100 will do the trick.Its lowest price is £549,but the inbuilt hard disc drive is easily the simplest way for you to do editing.You can put anything you want on the HDD up to 102 hours(but 35 hours in excellent quality),then you can edit it to perfection,change the running sequence,basically anything you want and a lot easier than doing it on a dvd.Once you have your programme complete,you can run off copies to dvd,multiples if you like,all at high speed.Pioneer and Panasonic both offer machines suitable for this,but the Pioneer can create a disc for other players that you can reuse later if need be,and its backup function allows you to duplicate dvd's later on in 25 minutes ,all in peak quality.Ideal for replicating a home video dvd .If you are restricted to a lower budget,then you must bear in mind that RW media,+ and - is less compatible on other players than the write once versions.Trying to do a finished edit on a dvd is difficult,as it would only be possible with RAM or -RW(VR),neither of these are very compatible.A HDD would solve all your problems

3. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx,

but how acurate edit can be done?
    With my S-VHS deck I'm used to do frame edit with no problem.
    Because of the MPEG 2 group of frames coding is it possible to do frame editing?

One more thing, there is no difference in witch format i'll make the archieve of my tapes? The problems start with editing new future recordings, right?

Thanx, again

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Frame accurate editing is possible.Its sensible to make your archive recording on a disc that can easily be copied in the future.Although RAM PC drives are around they are not as common as other formats.The Pioneer I mentioned above is perfect for your needs.You can edit on the HDD,transfer to-R,then at anytime you can run off a backup of any of your archive.I'm not sure what you mean about editing future recordings.Anything you record now can be edited on this machine too_Or do you mean you want to maybe compile a disc in the future fom your archive?

5. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx a lot.
    Unfortunatly PIONEER is not my firt option because of the dealer here.
    I think of PANASONIC, or is there anything else?

By future recording I meant to record 1h tv program (music) and later cut off some parts with frame accurace. Is this possible?

And I not quite aware of coding again recorded material when transfer to the DVD-R. Is there any loss in quality?