1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying DVD Players in the US

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Marc van Kan, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Marc van Kan

Marc van Kan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am going over to the US and am interested in buying a DVD Player while I am there, I will be using it in the UK.
    Can I do this?
    Does this mean that I will only be able to watch Region 1 dvd's?
    Will it work on the power supplies and be compatable with the TV's over here.
    Is there anything else that I should take into account?

Thanks in advance for the advise and help.
    Marc van Kan
    London

2. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Power, you need to know if it is capable of handling 50hz because a transformer might only drop the voltage and not adjust the hertz.

What will it play, depends on what you buy, seeing you don't know, how the fudge you think I will is beyond me.

Cheap and nasty chinese machines, good chance of a handset hack, but don't rely on it. Premium brands, pay to have it chipped when you get back.

Have a look at the richersounds site, you can get a cheapo multi region for less than a ton, so why bother.

If you spend over £150 and Mr Customs man stops you you have to par duty. I would guess most of us would rather sort out a machine here and fill the suitcase with cheap DVDs.

Have a nice day y'all

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Marc

I agree with articulate Mr Pants. There are so many compatability problems that may occur that it is not worth the hassle, especially considering the price of hackable/chipped machines in this country now. I would forget it and go for a known brand, chipped machine from LINK or TECHTRONIC for less than £200! But make sure it is RCE compatible

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    4 problems I see:

1. Warranty: who is going to fix it if it breaks down?

2. AC supply - you will need a downconverter (transformer) from 230 > 110V

Not a big problem, but it costs money and is messy (due to the add. cabling)

3. SCART/RGB: US DVD players don't have that.

4. Multiregion: not a big problem but you will be limited to NTSC only, i.e. R2/PAL will not play.
    Jap. R2 or Asian R3 would work fine.

This might actually depend on the make/model, but in general this applies.

Other problems could occur during import (tax/duty), so overall I don't see the point in buying a R1 player.
    Get a modified R2 player (multiregion/RCE, perhaps MV off) in the UK and that's it.