Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Buying DVD Players in the US

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Marc van Kan, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Marc van Kan

Marc van Kan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am going over to the US and am interested in buying a DVD Player while I am there, I will be using it in the UK.
    Can I do this?
    Does this mean that I will only be able to watch Region 1 dvd's?
    Will it work on the power supplies and be compatable with the TV's over here.
    Is there anything else that I should take into account?

Thanks in advance for the advise and help.
    Marc van Kan
    London

2. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Power, you need to know if it is capable of handling 50hz because a transformer might only drop the voltage and not adjust the hertz.

What will it play, depends on what you buy, seeing you don't know, how the fudge you think I will is beyond me.

Cheap and nasty chinese machines, good chance of a handset hack, but don't rely on it. Premium brands, pay to have it chipped when you get back.

Have a look at the richersounds site, you can get a cheapo multi region for less than a ton, so why bother.

If you spend over £150 and Mr Customs man stops you you have to par duty. I would guess most of us would rather sort out a machine here and fill the suitcase with cheap DVDs.

Have a nice day y'all

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Marc

I agree with articulate Mr Pants. There are so many compatability problems that may occur that it is not worth the hassle, especially considering the price of hackable/chipped machines in this country now. I would forget it and go for a known brand, chipped machine from LINK or TECHTRONIC for less than £200! But make sure it is RCE compatible

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    4 problems I see:

1. Warranty: who is going to fix it if it breaks down?

2. AC supply - you will need a downconverter (transformer) from 230 > 110V

Not a big problem, but it costs money and is messy (due to the add. cabling)

3. SCART/RGB: US DVD players don't have that.

4. Multiregion: not a big problem but you will be limited to NTSC only, i.e. R2/PAL will not play.
    Jap. R2 or Asian R3 would work fine.

This might actually depend on the make/model, but in general this applies.

Other problems could occur during import (tax/duty), so overall I don't see the point in buying a R1 player.
    Get a modified R2 player (multiregion/RCE, perhaps MV off) in the UK and that's it.