1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying dv camcorder?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by paulm34, Feb 12, 2005.

1. paulm34

paulm34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I thinking of buying a DV camcorder (UK) before we go on holiday (July). Is it worth waiting a bit longer to see if the new dvd camcorders or ccd3 camcorders come down in price eg £300. Or do i buy now?. I have always bought panasonic with electrical equipment is sony better? any help would be appricated :thumbsup:

2. Tanstaafl

Tanstaafl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's my opinion FWIW
    Do not buy a DVD camcorder - there are too many standards, record time is too low, loads of other drawbacks if you look in similar threads.

3CCD camcorders. The only 'affordable' 3CCD camcorder is Panasonic's NV-GS120 (PV-GS120 in USA). I just bought one for GBP450 from ebuyer, and it's going straight back: there are loads of reports of problems with the DV interface (Firewire/i-link/IEEE1394 are other names for this) to PCs, both here and in the USA, and I have that problem. Also, to use the tape transport controls you have to open the view screen. I didn't think the picture was better for having 3 CCDs than my old Canon 530i. There is a suggestion that the panasonic system was built for the NTSC market in the states, and that to increase the resolution for the better PAL standard, the software on the camera has to interpolate (i.e. make up) some missing lines: hence USA sites tend to give the cam a better rating than UK sites.

Sony has a reputation for being better designed and built, but always being more expensive for equivalent specs.

I was always very happy with my Canon 530i, and will probably get a 750i or 850i or 250i, but that's my preference.

If you know your budget is about GBP300, you might also consider the JVC GR D93 , particularly as this model can be found cheaper than the less well spec'ed GR D73 - check out Kelkoo.co.uk

Paul

3. Timse1981

Timse1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also thinking of buying a camcorder and my budget is about £350 GBP. I live in the UK and was considering getting a Canon MV750i but I found there is noise interferance from the tape mechanism. Can this be overcome by having an external mic? Does the MV750i have a socket to put an external mic on a lead on the camcorder?

Thanks

Tim - A camcorder novice (analogue or digital).

4. TonyM19

TonyM19
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What is the difference bewteen a GR-D93 and a GR-D93EK? (Apart from about £100). Which features have been removed for the difference in price?

5. Cinnamon

Cinnamon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive got the Panasonic's NV-GS120, and i find it to be a great little camcorder.
    I think unless you're a pro film maker then its an ideal camcorder.
    I used mine to make a short film for uni and it was superb. I had the Canon MV750i before that and it wasnt as good, the layout was odd and fiddly. SO i sold it.