Buying DV Camcorder - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Saint4320, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Saint4320

Saint4320

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I want to buy a DV Camcorder and am looking for advice on which to buy really. Basically it doesn't need to have massive amounts of technology - just something that's easy to use, has good features and is small with good quality movie production.

I am a particular fan of Sony stuff but don't necessarily have to buy a Sony machine if there's a better option. Budget is around £600.00.

Thanks in advance.

Saint

2. Saint4320

Saint4320

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh come on. Someone must have SOME advice!!

Saint

3. OGIII

OGIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stay away from Sony MicroMV.

I'm going for a Panasonic GS1 at £399 but you can spend you're full wad on a higher model from same range.

The new Pana range GS10 etc, seem to have been made smaller by reducing te CCD to 1/6 rather than 1/4 which to me suggests that low light and normal filming will be lower quality but who knows.

4. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OGIII,
    Check out Lets Go Digital for pretty much the best prices on official UK products from all the big manufacturers.

They've got the GS3B for £449.

5. OGIII

OGIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark

I got my Mum's GS1 from them for £399 but they don't seem to stock it anymore.

The GS3 is at a great price but I don't think it warrants the extra £50, I can;t think of any time I;m likely to use the DV In.

Cheers
    OG

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    If you ever intend to edit your videos on a PC then the DV-in could be invaluble. You could copy the project back to the camera as a high quality backup of the finished edit or copy an edited film back to camera and then play back to a DVD recorder at high quality.

There are loads of reasons to have DV-in on your camcorder, none of which you intend to use at the moment but could be very handy in the future.
    Camcorders are not cheap and spending an extra £50 now could save you buying a new camcorder in the not too distant future.

Mark.