Answered Buying Disks from America

Hocking88

Established Member
Reaction score
I apologise if this has been asked before, I am just wandering where people get their disks online from America. There are a few movies I want which only seem to be available in America such as Braveheart, Leon and Zero Dark Thirty. But I am not sure where is best place to order.
Also am I right in thinking all the 4K disks are region free? Finally this a silly question if I buy something for say 20 dollars, does my bank just convert the amount into pounds?

Yes all 4k discs are region free, the Bluray may be locked to Region A

I get mine mainly from a friend in the US who sends over a bulk package every so often.

If I don't buy that way then I tend to buy from ebay, WowHD and Amazon US.

Your bank will convert the payment.

I apologise if this has been asked before, I am just wandering where people get their disks online from America. There are a few movies I want which only seem to be available in America such as Braveheart, Leon and Zero Dark Thirty. But I am not sure where is best place to order.
Also am I right in thinking all the 4K disks are region free? Finally this a silly question if I buy something for say 20 dollars, does my bank just convert the amount into pounds?
1. I got two of those discs you mention from wowhd.co.uk. But they now add VAT which ups the price. You can also buy from ebay sellers or amazon.
2. All 4K are region free.
3. Yes banks just convert the money but they will charge a fee if using a credit card unless you get a currency exchange free card. Wowhd charges in UK pounds so not an issue.

Also forgot to say WowHD are customs friendly. The person I use on ebay is as well but Amazon charge a deposit for customs fees which you can sometimes get back

Last edited:
Does anybody know if importcds.com are still customs friendly? I know a few that were, no longer are as of recently!

M

Get an account with Stackry.

They're a remailer service, and they are cheap. They're customs friendly. Had no issue with them.

Stackry | US shopping, global shipping

(If you fancy joining, I can refer you and we both get a $10 bonus but shameless plug aside)

Buying from the States is definitely the way forward, especially if you buy second hand copies on eBay.com, or the classifieds on bluray.com.

In the last week, I've picked up A Quiet Place, Westworld Season One, Maze Runner 3, Red Sparrow, Tomb Raider and Black Panther for $67 which is just about £50. It'll cost me about another a tenner to get them shipped across.

Last edited:
Ok thank you for all of your help everyone. One last question are certain websites more reliable for sending out with slip covers? I am a bit of a collector.

Ok thank you for all of your help everyone. One last question are certain websites more reliable for sending out with slip covers? I am a bit of a collector.

Unless you order from somewhere that can specifically guarantee a slip cover such as Bluraysfireveryone then it will be just as hit and miss as it is ordering from any retailer but of course your more likely to get one if you pre-order.

They're a remailer service, and they are cheap. They're customs friendly. Had no issue with them.

(If you fancy joining, I can refer you and we both get a $10 bonus but shameless plug aside)

Buying from the States is definitely the way forward, especially if you buy second hand copies on eBay.com, or the classifieds on bluray.com.

In the last week, I've picked up A Quiet Place, Westworld Season One, Maze Runner 3, Red Sparrow, Tomb Raider and Black Panther for $67 which is just about £50. It'll cost me about another a tenner to get them shipped across.

£10 to ship that lot? That’s cheap - how long does it take to get the goods shipped over?

Normally about two weeks. You can get it quicker, and although the prices goes up it's still always reasonable.

How does it work with a UK card making payment to a US retailer?

How does it work with a UK card making payment to a US retailer?
Easy, just put your name and address and then your bank details. Simples. :)

So UK billing address and US shipping address?

Your UK address, it's certainly not complicated.

The reason I ask is a lot of places won't ship to a non-billing address for fraud reasons. To clarify, I'm talking about ordering something from the US then having it shipped to the on-shipper, not about just ordering something from the US generally or putting billing information with Stackry.

Wowhd, Deep discounts and ebay not to mention amazon.com will.

So in terms of Stackry I simply order from Best Buy, have it shipped to my Stackry state tax free address and they ship it to my UK address?

Always buy in the local currency and you tend to get the best rate with MasterCard rather than Visa. Also, worth getting a credit card that doesn’t charge a foreign exchange fee. Halifax Clarity and Post Office MasterCard are market leaders in this.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom