Buying digital copy of a game

sparkymark75

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've seen folk on eBay selling digital copies of games. However, what you are actually buying is a profile which has this game downloaded on it. You then add this profile to your Xbox One and can then play the game on your account.

This all sounds a bit too good to be true, are there any gotcha's I'm missing here?

I did think, if you had an issue with your console and had to get it replaced, you'll have lost the game as the licence was tied to the profile and the old console. But even then, you would simply add the profile to your new console and then download it again?

I would stay well clear. Could have been purchased with a stolen card or anything, why else would you sell the profile sounds very similar to the old fifa scam.

Sounds just like the old scams with really cheap credit and its on a profile you have to download.

AVOID !

I bought one a while back thinking it was a download code, after doing a bit of research I found it was against MS terms and conditions to buy or sell profiles, so got a refund from the ebay seller, I would stay clear of them and buy from the console.
These people Xbox Live Card 50 - Xbox Live £50 Gift Card - better than 4200/ 2100 Points | eBay are still selling £50 MS codes for £32.89 although you can offer £32.50 and it should be accepted, bought from them in December and had a bit of faffing around with emails and phone calls but got the credit and all was good(some people just get sent the codes straight away no problems).

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I know this sounds well dodgy! I agree with all the comments above but a guy in my work has bought a few of these and im jealous haha!

He just yesterday bought both Watchdogs and Wolfenstein for £49! on ebay!

Surely this should be stopped? otherwise im gonna be tempted to give it ago lol

I know this sounds well dodgy! I agree with all the comments above but a guy in my work has bought a few of these and im jealous haha!

He just yesterday bought both Watchdogs and Wolfenstein for £49! on ebay!

Surely this should be stopped? otherwise im gonna be tempted to give it ago lol

I understand the principle these sales work under, what confuses me is I assume each game comes with a unique gamertag, now assuming you buy one game you can set that gamertag as the "home" console owner and that game is now globally available to all users on that console, what happens when he buys the second, can he have 2 gamertags set as "home console" (well 3 if his regular one is also there) ?

Does this allow many users content to all be considered "at home" and available to all users? this is where I see this getting messy in that I can almost imagine if yo buy 2 then you are switching gamertags to get access again or does it just allow you to stack them all one after the other?

very weird, would be interesting to know where these games are coming from, are they CC fraud or is this some trade folks offloading review copies without giving thoes codes out and advertising the fact etc?

You can have all the GT's set to Home console. The fact is these are no doubt purchased with stolen credit cards used to preload the account with credit. The same scam was used on FIFA for years.

You can have all the GT's set to Home console. The fact is these are no doubt purchased with stolen credit cards used to preload the account with credit. The same scam was used on FIFA for years.

Very weird, the seller I saw was a business seller on eBay with vat number apparently.

Called to a friends last night seen this is action, I don't know how eBay sellers are doing it but he was able to get a gamertag with 5 games on it for £99 and they all work flawlessly on his gamertag he got Ufc, Watchdogs, Titanfall, Wolfenstein and something else which is amazing value!

the seller that he bought them called uki_1981 has sold hundreds of these things with 100% positive feedback, I would love to know how it's being done?

Called to a friends last night seen this is action, I don't know how eBay sellers are doing it but he was able to get a gamertag with 5 games on it for £99 and they all work flawlessly on his gamertag he got Ufc, Watchdogs, Titanfall, Wolfenstein and something else which is amazing value!

the seller that he bought them called uki_1981 has sold hundreds of these things with 100% positive feedback, I would love to know how it's being done?
It seems to good to be true. If it is legit, why would they have to tie it to an account that's not yours and not just sell you the game via a digital code?

Stolen credit cards I imagine. However. Once it's on your console and downloaded its your to use isn't it. Even if they kill the profile ?

However if your console dies. The games are lost. Abit like the game sharing with the 360 and setting one console to home and the other needing to be on live?

its game sharing as you are allowed to set your home computer 3 times a year.

you set your profile as home on another xbox. Your profile has the games, so you download on the new xbox which you set as home. Then you log off and the person who that xbox belongs to signs in and downloads your games, its very easy to do and i have tried and works

i just tested it, don't plan on doing as the issue will be when your xbox dies, then u loose all the games, so when u get new one, u log as yourself and you will only have the games you bought digital

so the person who spent £99, if his xbox dies in the new few months for example all the games will go, now he can sign in again with the profiles he was given but i bet they wont work as seller probs changed password and gave that account to someone else to use as you can do it 3 times

they probs getting free xbox live gold accounts buying the first game at cost and then sharing it twice to other people and making the money that way

It looks more like stolen credit cards. As they advertise African version of sniper elite etc. I would imagine you pay, they then set up and buy games per your order. Or if they have a pre made profile give you the details then change password.

Wonder what happens if you get in and change password first ?

It looks more like stolen credit cards. As they advertise African version of sniper elite etc. I would imagine you pay, they then set up and buy games per your order. Or if they have a pre made profile give you the details then change password.

Wonder what happens if you get in and change password first ?

1. Not a lot if funded by stolen credit card
2. They complain to Microsoft you get account banned or console banned
3. Hope they don't remove your access to the games at the drop of a hat
4. Don't even go there in the first place i wouldn't touch it with yours
5. Gamertag's aren't transferable anyway so ToS are already broken if Microsoft were to find out say goodbye to the games and live priveleges

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom