Buying dedicated centre

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by skronk, Jan 31, 2014.

1. skronk

skronk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi all,

I have 3 Kef eggs 2001 at front and Roth OLi 10s for rears with Yamaha 671.
    I am pleased with the performance this offers.

I have taken a notion to buy a dedicated centre about £100 - £150 to replace my middle egg.
    Would this offer any better performance, bearing in mind I am content with my setup at present.

I don't mind spending the money, but only for an increase in performance !!!!!

Am I nuts or what ??????

Thanks

2. stainless-steel

stainless-steel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    I used to have a 5.1 kef egg setup, upgraded the centre to an XQ2C. The difference was subtle, largely because the rest of the eggs couldn't be driven anywhere near as hard without getting distressed.
    It did start an upgrade cycle though, kef XQ5 l&r, Parasound power amp etc. etc.

I don't think you'll see a huge difference just by changing the centre, unless it's not tonally matched, then you'll notice it for sure. ;-)

3. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    A higher quality center would improve sound quality but you'll find the center outclasses the left & right speakers. You could look at a Kef Model 100.

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,439
    I would really look to upgrade the front 3 at the same time. I would always have the same make/model at the front to ensure the best front soundstage.

5. wilco1uk

wilco1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    This....I used to have two Kef Q1 and a Q6c (same range) for the front three and eggs as rears. If you bought a Q series centre speaker from the same year that your eggs were made you'd have a chance of a reasonable tonal match as they all use similar drivers. It would be beneficial if your receiver adjusts EQ for each speaker as part of its auto setup.

Your front speaker would sound better if it was upgraded (especially in the bass dept), but it could be at the expense of the general sound field, the perceived movement of sounds, and the overall balance of the front three.

6. skronk

skronk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Thanks to all who took time to reply.

7. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,684
    I have kef eggs for fronts, surrounds and rear surrounds. I tried the matching centre which was not as good as my Dali ikon vocal 1, that was a great centre speaker. Much to others ridicule and laughter of others I now have the giant kef Q600c centre !!. I'm happy. You could try one of the smaller centres but if your happy with dialogue and your overall sound I would save your pennies.