Buying decision £200-£300 final 3 in the race.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by morb666, Feb 20, 2013.

1. morb666

morb666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,

My old Onkyo has finally given up the ghost (loud popping and crackling through front speakers and one rear channel is dead), to be honest it's been a pain all the time I've had it (about 3 years)...anyway, I've got to source a replacement.

Funds are limited (as always) but I've narrowed it down to 3.

Yamaha RX-V373
    Marantz 1403
    Denon 2113

I only need 5.1 and it will be used mostly for Blu-Ray, TV and multichannel SACD playback via my Sony Blu Ray player (that's one of the things I did like about the Onkyo was it's ability to handle pure DSD straight to Analog over HDMI, guess I'll need to convert to PCM in the Player before sending it to any of the above choices)

Speakers are Mission Bookshelf and I'm going to purchase the Yamaha YSTFSW050 Subwoofer as well.

There only seems to be about £50 between all three of my choices but don't want to spend more than I have to.

All advice, suggestions welcome.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Mark Morb

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,048
    The Yamaha RXV473 is within budget so I'd suggest that rather than the RXV373. The Marantz is okay if you need a slimline AV receiver, but that is its only real virtue in comparison to either the DEnon or Yamaha options. If money is really tight then The Denon AVR1713 may also be of interest. The AVR1713 is more comparable to the Yamaha RXV373, is a 5.1 AV reciver lacking 4K video support, video processing and AirPlay, but does have DLNA networking and internet radio capabilities not apparent on the Yamaha RXV373. Both DEnon model and the Marantz also have Audyssey's MultEQ XT room correction onboard while the Yamaha is reliant on Yamaha's proprietary YPAO calibration system.

I'd narrow the decision down to:

Denon AVR1713 vs Yamaha RXV373

or …

Denon AVR2113 vs Yamaha RXV473

In my mind, the Denon AVR2113 option is the best value for money and overall winner.

3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,048
    In regards to DSD, it is unlikely that your Onkyo actually processed DSD data directly and more probable that it accepted it over HDMI prior to then converting to LPCM. This is common practice and only the DACs onboard the flagship models can process DSD directly. You'd need the DEnon AVR2313 in order to stream DSD to it over HDMI, but even then the DSD would be converted by the reciver to LPCM prior to the DACs.

4. morb666

morb666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the helpful reply Dante....much appreciated.

Hadn't considered the 473 (I'd made an assumption that it was more expensive than it actually is). I am seeing a lot of love out there for the Denon 2113 and have to admit to leaning that way myself...seems to be a real bargain at £279 at the moment...

(as usual my original budget was up to £200 for the AV receiver and the second I start looking into it it starts to creep up, need to buy something soon before I end up spending a grand!!!)

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,048
    It should be noted that the AVR2113 cannot accept DSD over HDMI and you'd need the AVR2313 in order to be able to stream DSD to the receiver, but as I mentioned, the DSD signal isn't directly processed and would be converted to LPCM prior to the DACs anyway.

I believe the RXV473 has the ability to accept DSD streamed over HDMI, but again, no ability to process it directly without first converting it to LPCM.

6. morb666

morb666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Dante, I thought the same as you about the Onkyo but I remember back in the day that someone was insistent that it actually did a straight DSD to Analog conversion, seemed unlikely to me at that price point.

The Sony Blu Ray I use to play my SACD's will do the conversion to LPCM itself before sending it over HDMI (can't remember the resolution at the moment though) so it shouldn't matter that the receiver itself cannot accept DSD as I'll convert first (I'm assuming there'll be no problem in the receivers managing high res multichannel LPCM over HDMI).

Thanks again,
    Mark

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,048
    All of the receivers mentioned can accept HD multichannel PCM conveyed to them via via HDMI. This is a given with any audio capable HDMI receiver these days.

8. PatrickVogeli

PatrickVogeli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I vote for one of the Denon! The 2113 is a very good value these days, but if you don't need some features (video upscaling, video analog to hdmi conversion, 7.1 channels) I'd get the 1713 and you can save a bit more.

9. morb666

morb666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'd made that assumption but good to hear it verified...thanks...

10. morb666

morb666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Patrick, definitely seems as though the Denon is punching above it's weight at this price point...I'll check out the 1713 and see if I can live without the extra features of the 2113...

11. athelstan

athelstan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I've had the Denon 1713 for a couple of weeks now. Really impressed, a massive bargain in my view if you can live without 7.1 and video upscaling. Contrary to an earlier post it does have AirPlay.

12. iamtheetube

iamtheetube

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,564
    Sorry to jump in to the thread.

My pioneer vsx-1016 vs has just announced its impending retirement and I came across this thread. I was all set to pull the trigger on the Denon 2113 based on the recommendations above when I spotted the Pioneer Vsx 922k is going at £239 and now I'm not sure..

If its any help my current set up going into the 1016 is

Freesat
    Xbox 360
    Apple TV
    Bluray player
    Wii

Speakers are Canton movie 125 mx.

Opinions greatly appreciated!

13. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,048

I'd suggest a warmer sounding receiver with your speakers, but if you were happy with the VSX1016 powering the Cantons then it would be an option.

You may find this of interest:
    Onkyo TX-NR616 vs Pioneer VSX-922 vs Denon...

14. iamtheetube

iamtheetube

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,564
    Thanks for the reply.

Hmm food for thought indeed..

My VSX 1016 was a purchase from the classifieds on here after winning the speakers, and being kind of new to the whole setup I didn't know any better at the time.

The onkyo came out on top of the review you linked to. Is this and indeed the Denon a warmer receiver as you suggest may be better for my speakers?

15. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,048
    Given the cost of the Denon and its audio credentials then I'd suggest it the best option. The Canton speakers are clinical in nature and such speakers invariably provide a more balanced setup when paired with a warm sounding amp. Putting a clinical sounding amp with clinical speakers can result in the loss of presence and depth, as well as give rise to sibilance in extreme cases.

16. Aching Head

Aching Head

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have the Maratnz 1403, linked up to some QA 202is and I cannot fault it. At £229, I'd get it and save £50!

17. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,048
    THe only time I'd suggest the NR1403 over a full sized receiver is if a slimline receiver was a requirement. The Marantz is actually a lesser receiver sold at a higher price purely due to its slimline form. It has fewer features, less power and fewer connection options when compared to the AVR2113, not to mention that it is only a 5.1 receiver. If only wanting 5.1 then I'd suggest the DEnon AVR1713 over the Marantz NR1403.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  18. Aching Head

Aching Head

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Not to mention it's only 5.1? That's what the OP wants, therefore it is sufficient.

Connectivity? Power? Well, that all depends on one's needs. The OP asked for opinions. I have first hand experience of the Marantz and I rate it. The OP said he didn't want to spend more than was necessary. Well, the Marantz will save him fifty quid and if it meets his needs...

19. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,048
    So why spend more on a lesser spec'd NR1403 and not buy the cheaper, better spec'd Denon AVR1713?

The AVR1713 has already been suggested earlier in the thread. The OP chose the AVR2113 over it so obviously does want the additional power and features the AVR2113 has to offer. The Marantz is less well spec'd than either the AVR1713 or the AVR2113!

20. Aching Head

Aching Head

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well, spec isn't necessarily everything as isn't power - again, depending on your needs. Besides which, when I said in my original post,save fifty quid, that was in comparison to the 2113 and not the 1713.

21. Aching Head

Aching Head

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14

Man, is this a pride thing with you??? How come you keep coming back editing and editing. The OP clearly isn't decided as why else would his original post have included the 1403?

This is my last post. He asked for opinions. I have one on his list. I've used it. I've heard it - with both music and film and I gave an opinion. I'm sure the OP will go with your advice so all's well!

22. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,048
    Maybe read the thread. The AVR1713 was mentioned previously.

Again, what is the benefit of a buying an NR1403 over either the AVR1713 or the AVR2113, apart from its slimline build?

23. Aching Head

Aching Head

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Oh, I can't resist!

Going on spec alone? Maybe nothing, but...

Many years ago, I owned a Arcam Delta CD player and needed an amp for it. Billie Vee in Lewisham hooked it up to an amp they thought would be good for me and blimey, the disappointment - all my music sounded flat, lifeless. They then hooked up a lesser spec'd amp, a Lynn Intek, which was less powerful too, but it was chalk and cheese - the difference was amazing. I bought that Lynn Intek.

As I said, spec isn't everything.

24. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,048
    Again, please explain why the NR1403 is a better option than either the AVR1713 or the AVR2113.

You do know that DEnon and Marantz are owned by the same holdings company and use the same components don't you?

You've as yet to justify yourself. Please take the time that others have spent to actually give a logical explanation as to your reasoning. You simply owning one isn't reason enough in my opinion nor should it be in the eye's of anyone else reading your recommendation. Have you even heard either of the Denon options or the Yamaha RXV373?

What has your reminissing about days gone by got to do with anything?

25. iamtheetube

iamtheetube

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,564
    Sorry if my jumping into the thread has caused confusion guy's.

I'm not the OP, and dante01 was advising me based on the info i provided in post #12

I have a decent sized space so having a receiver with the option to go to 7.1 as well as other kit upgrades is definately something I'm looking for.

Thanks again for the input dante01. Off to Denon I go:smashin: