1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying criterion for both receiver and speaker

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by supertwister, Feb 1, 2005.

1. supertwister

supertwister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!!

I decided to buy Sony str-de697 receiver and Eltax liberty 5.0 and 8.2 atomic subs combinations. I ve limited budget!!

But i have questions which are unclarified...

1.) all the speakers impedence values are 4-8 ohm. de697 has 8 ohm output. Could this be a problem for the receiver? is there any possibility to harm the receiver?
    2.) "Av-amps. Up to 130 W RMS pr. channel" i understand from this expression that i can use the sony receiver that have 100 watts power output per channel. Because it s up to 130 W. Or i should use more powerful receiver to have more efficiency. I read the opinion of some people on the internet that the power of speakers should be less than the receiver output power. (forexample 80 watt 5.0 speaker set is suitable for the 100 watt receiver power per channel which i ve chosen). is this true?

here is the specifications of rceiver and speaker set

http://www.eltax.com/products/salg....&farve2=lightbeech&produktnavn=Liberty 5-pack

http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Sony_STR_DE697

I hope my combination works.

your help will be much appreciated :lease:

2. tpc3416

tpc3416

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those are some pretty power hungry speakers. 87db rated speakers means you'll need twice the power to reproduce the same volume as an 89db speaker, and twice that for a 91. Sony overrates their wattage. In stereo mode, you'll be lucky to get 50 watts into all 7 channels at 1% distortion. My Denon 3805's power consumption is over 700 watts. That Sony is in the 200's. You'll be pushing that receiver very hard to get what you want with those speakers. It's a great receiver for Sony speakers, but Sony speakers are generally rated in the 90 db range. Be careful not to overheat that amp.

3. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I agree with tpc3416 - I'd look for speakers with a sensitivity around 90dB/W at 1m, or better.

It's generally better for the amp and speakers for the amp to have more power than the speakers need. This keeps the amp running cooler and avoids clipping at high level, which can destroy your tweeters. In pro-audio, it's generally agreed that if the speakers are rated at, say 400W RMS continuous, you should drive them with an amp around 800 RMS continuous - the speakers can handle at least double their rated power four short periods and four times for transients.

BTW - I think your dB figures are a bit off:

2dB = 1.58 times.
    (3dB = 2 times, 6dB = 4 times).

For power & SPL, dB = 10log(p1/p2)

2 = 10log(x)
    log(x) = 0.2
    x = 10^0.2 = 1.58

4. tpc3416

tpc3416

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave, you are correct, it doubles every three db, not too. Sorry for the misinformation.