1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying cables...need advice please

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by AndyDD, Aug 21, 2003.

1. AndyDD

AndyDD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I require 6 audio phono connections for multi channel sound. I may buy QED type for around £20 a pair = £60. Any other suggestions?

I am also wondering if I have been using the correct cable for component video connection. I have read that I should use 75 ohm terminated cables, such as IXOS XHV704 Component video 3RCA to 3RCA. I am currently using 'Thor 26456T 3M'
    3 * RCA (Yellow, Red, White) 3 metre cable.

Should my current Thor cable be OK for component?

thanks alot,
    Andy

2. AndyDD

AndyDD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've found some details on the Maplin web site, but it just doesn't mention the impedance...

The THOR 3 Phono to 3 Phono interconnect has been precision engineered to allow simultaneous transfer of both stereo audio and video signals, suitable for a wide variety of equipment. Each cable within the interconnect has been specifically designed to carry either an audio or video signal.
    · Multistrand oxygen-free copper conductors (silver-plated on audio Phonos)
    · 6-cut self cleaning Phono with 24K hard gold-plated contacts for enhanced signal transfer
    · Cable construction specific to either audio or video Phono conductor
    · Tinned copper braiding and pure aluminium foil shielding minimises external RFI/EMI interference
    · Durable PVC outer jacket with strain relief protects total length of interconnect

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Therein lies the problem. If the Audio cables have been specifically designed as such, they will not conform to 75ohm impedence dielectric spacing properties. Are the outer diameters of the Audio cables the same size as the Video cable?

Regardless, the specs state the central conductors of the Audio cables are silver plated while the central conductor of the Video cable is not. This differentiation in design between the the Audio & Video cables is not desirable if using all 3 for Video.

I would be off the opinion that while usable, your Thor AV cable is not suitable for Component Video signal transfer. Others may have a different opinion though.

4. AndyDD

AndyDD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for info.
    I'm almost decided on IOXS XHV704 (1713) 3M's £47, still looking though.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Why not take a look at http://www.scorpioncables.com/

I can vouch for these cables as I have component, sub & coax cables and they are great :clap: .

Mark.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    They don't do audio cables * though which is primarily what Andy is after.

I was also undecided on what cables to buy for multi channel use as £30 per pair seems a reasonable price but not quite so reasonable when you need three pairs.

I have a Pioneer 656a and whilst I only have one DVDA and one SACD the sound from both is far superior to that from vanilla CDs yet I am only using three pairs of freebie cables for the multi channel connection whilst I have decent quality cables for both the digital and analogue CD connection.

** Edit - They do make and sell audio cables, sorry for the misinfo

7. Zor

Zor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dito Ian J

I have a Denon DVD-2900. I also only have 1 x SACD + 1 x DVD-A and haven't upgraded the 6 freebie cables yet. Thought I would wait til I have a few more discs. The new releases on both formats seem few & far between.

8. Matata

Matata

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. Matata

Matata

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You've lost me there I'm afraid.

My name is Mark and I had only noticed that the cable company mentioned above did have analogue audio cables :confused:

10. AndyDD

AndyDD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've bought some QED Quenex 2's. £25 a pair, but got the 3 sets for £70 from Soundcraft in Ashford. I was originally told I should get some Atlas ones @ £40 a pair.
    I've tried the CD analogue out on my Denon 2900 (SACDs/DVDA's on order). Quite disapointed in the sound quality.

Anyone got one of the Groove Armada SACD albums?