Buying AVC-A1XVA...advice please?

GlynH

Established Member
Reaction score
I am going to buy a 9 week old AVC-A1XVA and would like some advice please?

Is there a way to tell if it is an 'upgraded' XV or a factory shipped XVA?

The reason I ask is my AVC-A1SRA was apparently factory shipped but Denon never seemed to bother updating the silk screening on the amp to reflect this...it still said SR so I was never really sure...

The box was not much help either with just an 'A' sticker that could have really been applied by anybody...

On the earlier AVC-A1SE ISTR the KAVC upgrade board did not actually bring the SE up to SR spec but it looks like this is not an issue with the XV-XVA upgrade.

The 'A' differences should be easy to spot on the XVA - 5 HDMI inputs vs. 3 on the older XV but is it possible to tell if this was purchased as an XV or XVA?

Is there in fact any difference - maybe Denon still build the XV but just slot the upgrade board in...

Any other hints/tips on buying the XVA would be much appreciated.

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

If you are in the UK, we are still waiting for the AVCA1XV-A Amp. It's not appeared yet.. Denon have'nt given an arrival date either.
I guess if it has the extra HDMI ports you are safe, but maybe it's an early 'dealer' release, for demo use, perhaps.

That's interesting...I am in the UK...

I wonder if there will be any differences between this and the 'consumer' model on general release?

I guess all of the forum members who have the XVA must have their existing XV's ugraded then?

Seems strange that Denon have stock of the upgrade boards before the 'A' version is shipping though - it's normally the other way round!

Thanks for that info JH4

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

JH4 said:
If you are in the UK, we are still waiting for the AVCA1XV-A Amp. It's not appeared yet.. Denon have'nt given an arrival date either.
I guess if it has the extra HDMI ports you are safe, but maybe it's an early 'dealer' release, for demo use, perhaps.

Hi Jase,

Thanks for the info...to my eyes the 3805 looks a better remote :devil:

Which remote do you have?

Is the XVA remote supplied with the upgrade then?

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Jase said:
A shipped A1XVA should come with a different remote. It looks like this:-

http://www.denon.co.uk/site/popup/ansicht.php?p=ansicht&Pid=270&bild_nr=7

Rather than this:-

http://www.denon.co.uk/site/popup/ansicht.php?p=ansicht&Pid=139&bild_nr=11

(Bottom one is actually from a 3805 but looks the same as the original A1XV remote).

I've got the original remote that looks like the 2nd pic. I haven't upgraded my A1XV.

As far as I know, when you send the unit back for an upgrade you don't get the new remote.

Hi guys so the 'a' isnt in the uk yet, went to my local sevenoaks yesterday and they said it was, as im demoing it next week.

Well, one member on here who's from the UK has one so it must be available, albeit in very limited numbers. :)

You don't get the new remote when upgrading. i was told it was going to cost $200AUS if i wanted one.

Well at the risk of repeating myself...go on...indulge me :rotfl: ...they must be as I have one now - probably the first second-hand XVA ever sold! :devil:

It does have the later 'black' 1036 remote which is detailed in the manual but the touch screen looks & feels terrible - pressing it is like...:censored:

So what remotes do you guys use and why?

Harmony?
Pronto?
Nevo SL?
Other?

My initial fears about it being a dealer dem model were totally unfounded - the shop has their own dem model...

Even the cardboard box has the model number AVC-A1XVA factory printed on it so I can safely say it originally shipped intact - not as an upgraded XV - not that it makes any difference...

Mine will be staying in the box until I get the matching DVD-A1XVA and my plaster cast is removed...:eek: :mad: :suicide:

Which UK member has the 'other one' then?

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Jase said:
Well, one member on here who's from the UK has one so it must be available, albeit in very limited numbers. :)

Seems like the novelty of the XVA has worn off for chambeaj already - he seems preoccupied in the Plasma/LCD Forum of late... :devil:

I don't think I was far off the mark when I said the 3805 remote looked a better remote...I would have to go so far as to say on first play the new remote is probably the worst I have ever seen :eek: - certainly worse than the RC8000 that came with the earlier A1SE/SR/SRA boxes IMHO and I wasn't over the moon with that one...

The Nevo SL looks great but the price :censored:
The Logitech Harmony 895 looks interesting though...

Have a great weekend Jase.

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

I use the remote that came with my A1XV. Also controls my DVD player so does exactly what I need. :)[/QUOTE]

I use the Harmony 885 with my AVC-A11XVA and I like it :smashin:

Took a little time to get right, but it was worth the effort :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom