Buying AV Receiver - Requesting Suggestion / Clarification

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bhalakumaran, Jan 8, 2012.

1. bhalakumaran

bhalakumaran
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,

I would like to state upfront that i am a novice when it comes to audio systems. Hopefully will make a clear point of what i am looking for.

To explain my setup, I have

• Sony Bravia HDTV - KDL 40 EX520 (4 HDMI In, 1 Digital Optical Out, 1 3.5mm Jack audio out)
    • Airtel Set-top Box with HD Connectivity - ( HDMI Out , S/PDIF Out)
    • PC with HDMI Out.
    I wanna build a decent home theater setup , by hooking up my set-top box and PC to my TV.

From what i have looked up so far, It is my understanding that there is no easy way to have a good 5.1 Surround sound without a dedicated AV Receiver.

To set up a good surround system I believe i have to do the following,

• Connect the set top box to the receiver through the HDMI Cable.
    • Connect my PC to the receiver through the HDMI Cable.
    • The 5.1 System to the receiver through the dedicated connectors in the recievers.
    • Audio out from the TV to the receiver though either the 3.5mm Jack / Digital optical out.
    My requirements being,

• Able to watch movies / play games with 5.1 sound from my PC.
    • See Dolby Digital supported shows from my set-top box.
    • Switch between either cable / set-top box / PC outputs.
    Will this setup work ? Is there a better way to do this ? Please suggest.

I have not yet bought the AV Receiver or the speaker system. It would be great if anyone can suggest me a entry level AV Receiver and speaker system.
    Being in India my options are pretty limited. I have outlets for Onkyo, Denon ,Yamaha around my place.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bhalakumaran:)

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,409
    Hard to recommend anything as you have not stated a budget and I do not know how much items cost in India.
    What you suggest sounds about right for connections although I would use the TV optical output and not the 3.5mm one as this should give the best sound quality.
    Trying to get a receiver with auto setup would also probably be worth the extra for you if you are new to this.

3. Undercover82

Undercover82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yes, please give us the UK equivalent price of the items you are considering so that we can help you more. To be honest, you're not looking for anything specific and your requirements are not unusual - so it should be easy to find you something suitable.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,366
    One slight thing about your post, you appear to think that you need a speaker system as opposed to five speakers and an active subwoofer? THe five speakers required for use with an AV receiver are conventional speakers and the subwoofer has its own onboard power amp and power supply. You may be confusing this with some of the PC speaker systems out there that also have integrated processing abilities? The AV amp or receiver performs the processing as well as powering your 5 speakers with a separates setup. The AV receiver also outputs a low frequency signal to the active subwoofer for it to amplify and then output via the subwoofer's drive unit. Many of the PC speaker systems incorporate both the processing and amplification within the same unit as used for the subwoofer drive unit and all speakers are then attached to this unit along with inputs such as a PC.

Which are you looking at purchasing and using, a separate AV receiver, speakers and a subwoofer or a more integrated speaker system?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  5. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    As has been pointed out we can give general help but not specifics about kit prices or availability. I suggest doing a google search for Indian AV forum and joining the obvious one that appears.

6. bhalakumaran

bhalakumaran
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its hard to say an UK equivalent price of the items , considering the import duties and stuff. There are hardly any retailers for the brands mentioned. So the prices are mostly inflated by the time it reaches the consumer's end.

I'd put my budget around 250 -300 Pounds.

7. bhalakumaran

bhalakumaran
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am actually looking for an integrated speaker system, putting my budget around 300 pounds, i guess thats the option to go with. Or is it not?:confused:

Saying that, i was aware of active and passive sub woofers. I observed in the back panels of few AV receivers there were two separate outs for woofers - Pre Amp Woofer output AND Woofer output - and assumed that it was the common thing in all receivers.
    Am i mistaken ?

8. Undercover82

Undercover82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Sorry, what I meant was please convert your buying prices from Rupees to GBP Pounds.

9. bhalakumaran

bhalakumaran
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can spend upto Rs.25000/- Which should come around to 320 GBP.
    Is that helpful ?

10. Undercover82

Undercover82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    And what are the prices of the equipment you are considering?

11. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,409
    Getting a full 5.1 system and 5.1 speaker system in the UK for £300 would be difficult so if the prices in India are higher than the UK then it is going to be very hard.
    The Onkyo 5405 would be one to look for if you can get it in India. You could also look for the Yamaha 196.