Buying Atmos Amp for first time....

neilrlsmith

I wonder if I could get some help as am building a new cinema room and want to go down the high end amp + speaker router.

In my lounge I have and old 4K TV connected to my Samsung Atmos Sound system. I then have a Fire Cube connected to Samsung Atmos soundbar via HDMI. In this scenario there a couple of things that need to work for Atmos to be output via my Samsung Atmos set up. 1) the content must be Atmos 2) the App must support Atmos on the particular device (in this case it's the Fire cube). It took me ages to locate a streaming device that supported most Apps' Atmos output. but this and the Apple TV were best. So I assume in this scenario, the Fire Cube is doing the decoding PROVIDING the app supports the Firecube. The next part I think is easy.

If I get a standard 4K TV and via a standard HDMI plug in an Atmos Amp (so no Firecube) - does this mean it will decode all Atmos soundtracks from the TV regardless of App capability on the TV or do I still need a Fire Cube plugged in to the amp....?

Hope that all make sense!

neilrlsmith

Can aanyone help? I’m simply asking whether an Atmos amp will decode any Atmos content if the TV was connected directly to or is the TV (or other streaming device i connect to the amp) play a part?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The Source device, plus your Subscriptions, dictates which content you can access via any Source device.

Video streaming services will either be via Apps embedded in the TV, an external Streaming device, an external Disc player, Satellite set-top or Terrestrial tuner.

An AVR will decode the audio signal the Source device sends to it plus pass the Video forward to the TV when you are using external devices connected to the AVR.

Most current AVR’s will include the ability to act as a Streamer for music services.

Video streaming services vary from device to device - for example Netflix on a TV may not offer the same range of features/Services as Netflix on an external streaming box.

If you want optimum connectivity for your new system look for a TV plus AVR which both support eARC that will offer you the ability/flexibility to either use the TV Apps as your Source or connect external devices to either the TV or AVR and not run into audio limitations.

Joe

neilrlsmith

Thanks Jo. so in other words, yes the streamer is important in the above scenario. So if I had Atmos content that was not supported on say, Disney+ on Roku (just an example) then I wouldnt get Atmos regardless of whether the Roku device is plugged directly in to the Atmos amp?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The Source device, plus your Subscription, dictates what you send to the AVR - the AVR can only playback the format you send it.

What most Atmos enabled AVR’s can do is ‘upmix’ non Atmos encoded content to bring all of your loudspeakers into play.

If the Roku streamer + Subscription cannot access or Output a stream which includes Atmos it doesn’t matter where you plug it you will always hit the same limitation.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom