1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying Anime

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by sonofmoth, Oct 14, 2003.

1. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    inspired by what I've seen in Animatrix, I want to get some Anime titles.

Any recommendations ?

What about suppliers ? best? cheapest ?

TIA

:smoke:

2. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jin Roh, (french R2 limited edition)
    Akira (R1 jap DTS)
    Princess Mononoke (USR1 for better subs)
    Spirited away (R1 or R3 I have R3 with DTS but has not as many extras as the R1)

that's the ones I have..I think

edit: forgot METROPOLIS Either french/dutch R2 with jap DTS or R1 with jap DTS extras are the same)

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    ok let me begin ;)

"Blood: The Vampire Hunter", "Ghost In The Shell", "Kai Doh Maru" all made by the same people within Manga Entertainment, all amazing artwork, and incrediable stories. Also try ANY Miyazaki release such as "Princess Mononoke", "Spirited Away", "My Cousin Totoro", "Castle in the Sky" are all flawless and breathtaking. "Appleseed", "X", "Vampire Wars" are also really really good, and "Macross" is stupendous.

"Metropolis" despite it's various good reviews, i found wasn't very good, but a good effort at reinterpriting one of the best silent movies from the 1920's. Quite visionary in that respect i feel.

"Akira" in my opinion was very good for it's day (late 80's) but feels terribly dated now. But an animation marvel for it's day never-the-less.

"Bubblegum Crisis" is great as a series as is "Cowboy Bebop" which is also a movie and a series.

So many to name here, but can't be arsed!!! Sorry!

But if you're new to the scene, definately try the first three i recommended first as they are sublime in terms of animation and story, and anything by Miyazaki (Studio Ghibli) leaves you in safe hands, but tends to lean towards Disney for creative inspiration (indeed Miyazaki recognises this) but i feel he has surpassed anything Disney has done in the last 50 years.

But there is some rubbish anime out there. Watch out!!

4. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cheers guys. Who's best on prices?

5. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    check the recommended retailer thread. it`s really hard to say. just see if they have the title you are after.

6. Makaveli

Makaveli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Get the complete series boxset here:

http://www2.cd-wow.com/detail_results_2.php?product_code=4253

Then get the two movies Death and Rebirth and End of Evangelion. I got both of them from http://www.ezydvd.com.au.

Other series worth getting are Cowboy Bebop and Trigun. Also FLCL, although I don't think the final dvd has been released yet. Hellsing is good too, I have a R3 version though, and the subtitling is not the best, probably better to go with R4.

For films, well Manga Ent. was mentioned and although they do good films, the quality of the R2 dvds is lacking to say the least. A lot of them only come with a english soundtrack, which is grand if you like your anime dubbed, personally I can't stand dubbed anime.
    Anyway good Manga Ent. titles are Street Fighter 2, Perfect Blue, Ninja Scroll (this may not be Manga Ent.).
    Then get Ghost In The Shell, but don't get the R2 because there is a synch problem with the soundtrack. There was a new R2 version released but I don't know if they corrected the problem.

Akira is really the daddy of anime, it introduced anime to the masses in the western world really. A little dated as already said, but really a must see. Quite a lot of versions of this are floating about on DVD and I honestly don't know which one is the best to go for.

Grave of the Fireflies is another good film, but tbh I think you should go for a series instead of a film.
    Try Cowboy Bebop or Trigun first, then go for EVA as it's quite a complex series and not really the best one to start with.

Anyway, there's loads of anime out there, but I think some of the above would be good to start with.

7. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    [shameless plug]
    I have Akira 2 disc LE for sale in my trade thread (see sig). :)
    [/shameless plug]

8. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    vampire hunter d :devil: AWESOME:devil:

9. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ..and I have a copy of 'Perfect Blue' for trade if you want to offer me a swap for it !

10. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    which region of perfect blue do you have and what are you looking for in exchange?;)

I`m hoping you have the nice french R2 but I doubt it.

11. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have the UK Region 2 version.

OK, so it's not anamorphic or have DTS like the French - but the French version has no English soundtrack at all, and you get forced French subtitles on the Japanese soundtrack - so unless you speak Japanese or read French you'll have a tough time working out what is going on.

I'm not looking for anything in particular for trade - just offer me any old tat and I'll probablly go for it.

12. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ..just noticed that you reside in Luxembourg so I think the chances of you speaking French have just gone up.

That buggers up my argument then !

13. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks guys, that should keep me busy for a while. Its going to be hard enough finding which version to go for ! There are just too many variants of the same film !

14. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    LOL:D
    it does indeed. the advantage of living in the middle of Europe: fluent in 4 languages;)

sonofmoth go for dfield200 UKR2. it is the same as the R1 and unless you can read french it is the best version out there;)