1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying an LCD without DVI/HDMI ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Mordor_Moose, Aug 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Mordor_Moose

Mordor_Moose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking about buying a Sharp LC-26GA5, but what's holding me back is that it doesn't have DVI or HDMI input. Will I regret it when HD comes along or is it OK as long as it has 720p/1080i through component? Sure, I won't get the digital signal, but from what I've heard the difference isn't that obvious, and I'm guessing HD DVD players as well as nextgen gaming consoles will have component as well. I'm very impressed with the performance when running progressive scan from DVD, and I'm not fanatic about having the latest as long as it looks good.

So what do you think, should I go for it?

Thanks for any help.

2. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To use future formats such as HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, not to mention (most likely) Sky HD etc, you will need a TV that supports HDCP, which requires a DVI or HDMI socket.

Furthermore, the fact that the set does not have either a DVI or HDMI means it doesn't meet the HD-Ready certification requirement, and if your bothered about using HD devices in the future, this is something that should be paid attention to.

It will be fine for games consoles though. In fact, IIRC the XBox360 only supports Component and VGA anyway.

3. ani4ani

ani4ani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194

I am not convinced about this spin. For the most part no one who seeks subscriptions is going to give up on the 500,000 or so LCD televisions out their that are not "HD ready" and that is why Sky have already announced that their first HD receivers will sport HD through Component, which virtually all non HD televisions have. Others will follow suit, as well as 3rd party dongles etc.

In my view buy the television that sound and looks the best in your view and don't worry about the spin.

4. Chu321

Chu321
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the same nagging question :confused:

I saw the Panasonic 32LXD50 and 32LXD500 side by side yesterday. Excellent pq – the best I have seen so far (DVD and Freeview). The salesman put the shop’s HD source via component into the 32LXD50 and the LXD500 and to be honest I could see no difference. Both were stunning! The main difference between the two afaik is the hdmi connection. 32LXD50 has no pc connection but I would not use that anyway and I am not bothered by the SD slot. I have never played games and probably never will (sorry).

Early Sky HD boxes will, so they say, have component connections so I could access HD that way (I cannot believe that it will all be copy protected). The sets are around £375 difference in price which is a lot for HDMI/HDCP.

So why shouldn’t I go for the 32LXD50? What haven’t I considered?

Should I go for it?

5. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might be right. I'm just saying better safe than sorry y'know.

Besides, that still leaves HD-DVD and Blu-Ray to consider.

6. Chu321

Chu321
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is what is nagging at me. I don't want to save money today only to have to spend more in a few months. I just have a feeling that that is what I am supposed to think and therefore cough up the extra cash.

Unless it is technically impossible (which I do not know) I tend to think that enterprising individuals will come up with work arounds for lack of DVI / HDMI /HDCP. If there is a demand somone will try to fill it.

I know very little about HD-DVD and Blu-Ray but again won't they initially at least cater for people without DVI /HDMI by providing component connectivity?

7. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD-DVD is already confirmed to offer only SD through Component, I'd expect a similar situation with Blu-Ray, especially if it's going to win corperate support away from HD-DVD.

It depends how much you have to spend really, but I personally believe it would be foolish to ignore the lingering presence of HDCP.

8. c.jelly

c.jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The problem is, that - like it or not - eventually component will be phased out.

Yes, it's fine to say the first HD-DVD, Blu-Ray and Sky HD boxes will have component output, but you can bet your bottom dollar it doesn't take them too long to ditch it.

9. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    There's another solution...

Wait until November/December. By then HDMI sets like the Panny 500/JVC DS6 will have dropped in price to the level of current non-HDMI sets. That way you get what you want for the price you want. Three months isn't that long is it?

10. colonel_butt

colonel_butt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think its a case of price. If a system has DVI (or HDMI) then its better. But under 27 inches HD will not make much difference to the picture. And all my viewings of TV have convinced me that a RBG or component input with good quality electronics and a quality screen always looks better then either a low quality high resolution screen or a high resolution LCD trying to cope with SDTV, 4:3, aerial input. Good quality tuners for aerial input are often overlooked, but many people, like me, have a home SKY system going to every aerial socket in the house. And except for my main TV, I look for the best RF tuning circuitry for all my 2ndary TVs. DVI is irrelevant for me on these.

The only real advantage of DVI on small LCDs is if you use them as computer screens. Then its a big advantage.

11. colonel_butt

colonel_butt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  12. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    That'd be my suggestion too - either wait or get the 500. If you think about it logically, you're going to keep this TV for what, the next 5 years at least? Which makes more sense, spending £375 less now only to find in 3 years time, HDMI (or lack thereof) has become an issue for you. By then HD-DVD and BR will be reasonably priced and starting to become more commonplace.
    Do you dump the 50 and buy another HDMI panel, spending way more than £375 to do so?
    Or, do you spend the extra now, and look forward to not having that problem? You're futureproofed (so to speak).

I know which makes the most sense - £75/year to not have any restrictions on what you can watch by way of what you can or can't use with your new (expensive enough) telly!

13. Chu321

Chu321
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Common sense advice. Thanks. I am not particularly patient (a weakness of mine) so the urge to buy now is strong. I was impressed with the Panasonics in action and £375 for a couple of connectors seems a bit steep. Goodness knows why they did not include DVI/HDMI on the 32LXD50 in the first place. It is not as if it is a particularly old model.

It makes sense to wait and then I can consider the new Sony's too (it is between the two brands I think). I am finding the whole choosing thing a real bind. Sony stores round my way are rarer than hen's teeth so comparisons are not easy. It is a good job I have to forum to help.

You have helped me decide to sit tight for now - thanks :thumbsup:

14. deeplyblue

deeplyblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    You're making much the same decision as I am - sit tight until (whatever). HOwever, when you do come to choose, can I add one factor only touched on. How long are you intending this TV to last?

For a 3-yr purchase, then what you want now is likely to be pretty much what you'll want later. If you're buying a machine that will have to do duty for a decade, then you'll need to consider other factors. For example, PC connectivity - if it's your only TV then in a decade you may find that Media PCs are everywhere.

In my case I want PC connectivity now, but am not worried about Sky in any shape or form. However, it may be that in a few years' time we will have not option but to swell the coffers of the wretched Murdoch if we want to see ... (fill in your own viewing preference here). So I shall be looking for a Sky-friendly set.

And, of course, if you have children/grandchildren then you may, as they get older, need console connectivity!

db

15. ani4ani

ani4ani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I don't accept at all the whole concept of being "future-proof" i.e. it is not possible. Let's face it, if this thread was started even only a year ago, we would have barely heard of blue-ray, [the world still believed in a common format for HD DVD] Sky had yet to annouce what was going to be required to watch their HD.

Think about today as a priority and if, as others have pointed out you can get HD ready for the price then all well and good, always better have than not. I still argue that the "spin" should not be a means of making people spend more than they need to. Sky have realised that there are an awful lot of LCD's/Plasma's out there, that would not be availabe to them as suscribers if they maintained their stance. Keene [about 2 mins from where I live] have a device and I am sure others will follow. I wouldn't mind betting that HD DVD players would incorporate the necassary "protection systems" in due course, again, are they going to give up on the "millions" of non "HD Ready" devices out there? Don't think so

16. colonel_butt

colonel_butt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    totally agree with ani4ani. Waiting for the future is a waste of time. Altough, I think if you are buying a screen greater then 32", its probably worth getting one that is HDCP compatiable.

As a joke though, ( as I mentioned before) I bought my Hitachi plasma about 3 years ago, it has a native res. of 1024x1024. Its fully HD compatible (720p, 1080i, etc.) via component. Sky boxes will have component out, but in any event I will probably get the keene convertor, so I can use HDMI, as this will be HD more of the time.

I also watch European satellite alot, and the sky box is naff compared to the generic boxes that will be available in Europe. I will probably be getting a DreamBox 8000 or ReelMedia which has component and un-encrypted DVI out. In addition, with a dragon CAM and/or internal emulators these boxes can show UK sky (with a valid viewing card inserted, of course). Hopefully these boxes and hackers will keep up with the sky launch date. But I certainly will be not restricted on what I watch, in what format, all because we have an unfortunate monopolistic satellite situation in this country.

Note that there are already 2 HDTV channels from hotbird, and a number of testing channels, including premiere. And they can all be picked up today from blighty using an Inverto or QualiTV, box.

17. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    If you have the option, get the one with HDMI. It's not worth the expense and hassle of additional equipment.

(Edit: I've actually been aticipating Blu-Ray since 2001. I heard about HD-DVD later.)

18. deeplyblue

deeplyblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'd agree that "future proofing" is not possible. I learned that watching computer systems. However, foreword planning *is* possible.

The most obvious example is that anyone buying any sort of TV equipment now has to consider how they will deal with the analogue switch-off. ATM, you can manage without a freeview box, or any other form of digital TV. But you'd be mad to spend £1K+ without factoring digital into your plans. (Which does NOT mean that you need to buy a TV with an integral digital receiver, merely that you have to work out how you're going to handle digital.)

Similarly I would be muttering sentences about ostriches and heads in the sand to who feels that the Beeb will continue to provide all the TV they will ever want. We may be able to save it, but the Murdoch empire is constantly trying to declare that the BBC is "unfair competition", and someday a government may need Murdoch more than they need the BBC.

Then there are the circumstances of your own life. For example, if you have a screaming toddler now, you do will to anticipate that the television is going to have to cater for the needs a five-year old all too soon. And even now five-year olds are demanding, and getting, their own games consoles.

I'm not suggesting out and out crystal ball gazing into the technological dreams of folk a decade hence, but a little contingency planning for the next few years of your own life.

db

19. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you like the sharp you could buy the ga6 in a month or so - or the ga3 from richer sounds now - that has HDCP dvi

20. Mordor_Moose

Mordor_Moose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help...

I've decided to go for the Samsung LE-26R41B, but I'll wait and see if the price drops when the LE-26M51B arrives in september, and if some light is shed on the tearing issue.

Thanks again :thumbsup: