1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying an LCD TV from eBay

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by chrismox, May 22, 2004.

1. chrismox

chrismox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Been looking into getting myself a Philips LCD TV and was considering getting one from eBay, saving myself a few hundred in the process.

Bought things before from eBay and never had any problems, was just wondering if there was anything particular about an LCD TV that would warrant me steering clear of an auction.

All opinions welcome, thanks.

2. Lameway

Lameway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As long as you can go visit the person and physically look at the TV and have a play - that is a *must* imo. Don't take a any of that "I'll give you my mobile" rubbish!

Also if the TV has a warranty card or some serial number tracing to check out the set still has some warranty with the manufacturer, that would be excellent. It might be a different story for some people, but for most, you don't want an LCD you just paid £1k for on EBay conking out 2 months down the line.

I think most people can spot a scammer a mile away.. well the poor ones anyway - like those who offer free shipping worldwide etc. (check out the fun thread called 'The fun of Ebay scammers...' on this very forum :D )

Are you looking at any particular auctions at the moment or just doing a bit of EBay browsing?

Let us know how the search goes! :)

3. chrismox

chrismox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got a few of Philips 23" displays lined up but haven't done any bidding yet.

The problem with eBay is that sellers often seem to live in the middle of nowhere and therefore viewing before payment can be a bit difficult. I drove about 200 miles to pick up a 21" monitor a few years ago, probably cost me more in petrol than I'd saved in the first place!

That said, the ones I'm looking at all seem to come from reputable sellers.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5700625791
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5700984536
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5700498971
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5701140216

Any idea how I go about tracing a serial number?

4. Lameway

Lameway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It might just be me, but none of those look particularly reputable to me - I normally dismiss anyone that sells with under 75ish feedbacks (I know we all have to start at the bottom and work up, but hey I like being safe!).

Just watch out for any add-on charges like 'service charges' or hidden VAT.

You can ask the seller to give you the serial number of the TV which they should kindly do if you tell them you're just checking out if there is any guarantee remaining. Just ring up Philips and ask to do a serial number check. If you want to be pedantic you can phone your local cop shop as ask them to check to see if any LCDs have been reported stolen of that make. I'm not 100% on this but i'm sure I've seen on these forums that forces can check to see if certain serial numbers are on their stolen items database, but don't quote me on it!

All I can say is good luck, and don't jump into the first 'bargain deal' - there will plenty of other 23" Philips' coming along, probably at cheaper prices as time goes on..

Hope this helps a bit!

Lameway

5. chrismox

chrismox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It does indeed, thanks a lot.