1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying an LCD major help needed

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Gortz, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Gortz

Gortz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello guys,

You all seem pretty well informed and I have somewhere between little and no clue about LCD screens so here goes, can someone help me locate something capable of the following or give me a list of screens to check out:

• I'm looking to buy an LCD screen for watching movies on
    • I won't be watching TV (don't have an arial or sky etc).
    • It MUST connect to my computer using DVI (I presume that'll give the best possible picture from a comp?) as this is what I'll be using to play the movies.
    • Not fussed about sound, already got a 5.1 setup sorted
    • I want it to be fairly big 28" up, ideally around 32" I think
    • I want to spend around £1000-£1500 (£2000 at the very most).
    • For my money I want the world... best possible picture, biggest screen size, highest resolution (I hear 1280 x 720 is best apparently?)
    • I'd prefer it to be wall mountable

Can anyone help me, recommend some things please?

Oh another thing, I was looking at a Sharp today that looked pretty good, it was on special I think at £1800ish, 32" aquous or something I think? Any ideas what its like, or what the model no is likely to be?

2. Gortz

Gortz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I've been doing some digging and these seem to be good, am I right?

Samsung 323t 32in
    Sharp LC-32GA3E 32in

The response time on the samsung seems to be 23ms on the samsung but I can't find one for the Sharp. My monitor is 25ms and it ghosts a little bit so I'm worried this might too!

3. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sharp LC-32GA3E and it's awesome. I highly recommend it.

It's resolution is 1366x768, and has a response time of <16ms

4. Gortz

Gortz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds ideal, I'll have to see if I can find them in stock somewhere so I can get a demo. Does anyone know a good stockist where I can get a good price. The cheapest I've seen is £1299.

5. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Unfortunately they are in very short supply at the moment. The LC32GA3E may have been discontinued to be replaced by a new model, the LC32GA5E (without DVI), in the new year. We're not sure about the LC32GA4E - see other threads on this subject. I have an LC32GA4E on order and crossed fingers.

James

6. Gortz

Gortz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just my luck! Is there anywhere that still has it?

7. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dunno, but you had better call around quickly. I had to phone about 15 different places before I could get hold of one over a week ago.

8. Gortz

Gortz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :( gutted, I was hoping to wait until maybe February to buy the screen, looks like I might end up being skint right away if I have to get it now haha.

9. Gortz

Gortz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok been looking a bit more, whats the difference between the Sharp LC32GA4E and the 3E? Seems to be more 4E's around and they seem to be similar prices, or am I going mad?

10. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The postion of the speakers! GA4E on the side of the screen and GA3E on the bottom. :smashin:

11. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yea, I had planned to wait until next year too, but didn't want to be stuck with a GA5. A GA4 is probably easier to get hold of, and is the same thing apart from speakers.

12. djsat2

djsat2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Viewsonic N3000W, comes with PC drivers and is essentially a big glorified PC monitor. Has DVI (HDCP) aswell as about any other connector u can think of. The screen is about 30" (quoted as 32", casing). Pic qulity is good, i had one almost a month and love it, no dead pixels either. Sounds ok from speakers but as u said u got 5.1 alreayd setup. Has VGA in too and a VGA out. Two analogue TV tuners for PIP etc. and it cant do PIP between different connectors (been playing Xbox while having NTL TV in smaller window). 1280 x 720 and it cost my about 1350. Check it out.