1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying An IPod From USA

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by DaveH, Jan 9, 2004.

1. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi all,

I thought I would bring this up seeing as the pound is so strong against the US dollar.

If you bought an Ipod from America, what kind of guarantee would you get? Is it only for North America or will it be Worldwide.

Also the charger will definitely be 110 volts, can we just buy a charger in the UK and will that work? Or will a transformer be required.

Finally I think this is a really good idea if it is plausible due to the saving of money and the volume would not be restricted on the unit like the UK ones.

Any thoughts?

Thanks is advance.

2. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    On the subject of chargers - you can always use your firewire port to charge the ipod that way you wont have voltage issues. Can't say I've ever used my charger, always charge it from my mac.

3. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    on the 2nd gen ipods at least the charger was universal with a switchable socket - i think apple sold a worldwide pack for about 20 quid with a uk/european/us socket in it so if thats still the case its a non issue; or as tomson says you could use the firewire port. plus theres the option of buying a cheap 5 quid adaptor for US - UK (seen them in train stations and many other places)

im not sure about the guarantee but it probably would only be restricted to the US which is a major pain if it breaks (ive rmaed my 2nd gen one twice in a year tho this one seems good now :D)

the final issue is that unless your flying out to the US anyway and are planning to sneak one back then your gonna face import/custom duty charges which im sure will annihilate any previous savings you were making.

still maybe worth a look - esp if you are travelling out there anyway

4. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks guys.