Buying an iPad mini...good choice?

gino_76ph

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have successfully sold my Nexus 7 tablet as i am disappointed on several things. And i miss having an iOS device as it is very smooth and simple to use. But i have questions in regards the new iOS6 software on the iPad mini.

1. Copy & Paste - Is it as simple as pressing on to the screen, highlighting the part what you want to copy then pasting it to an email or note or anywhere?
2. Notes - Can one send a note to an email address?
3. Twitter & Photos - Can one save a photo from Twitter? (like the Android app) And are there new features on how to edit/crop/etc. a photo?
4. Is it true that the iPad mini has stereo speakers?
5. Can one connect the iPad mini to 3rd-party bluetooth devices such as speakers or keyboards?
6. Based on what i saw on the App Store is there now a new dedicated Youtube app for the iPad? Is this true?
7. Is there now a faster or better way to transfer files (such as songs or videos) from a Mac to an iPad wirelessly without the use of iTunes or any cloud-based services?
8. Are all files saved on my iPad mini saved on to the cloud as well?

Please advice. Thank You.

I am more cuious about what make you disappoint about N7 cuz I am just considering buying it...

1. Copy & Paste - Is it as simple as pressing on to the screen, highlighting the part what you want to copy then pasting it to an email or note or anywhere?
More or less yes.
2. Notes - Can one send a note to an email address?
Yes
3. Twitter & Photos - Can one save a photo from Twitter? (like the Android app) And are there new features on how to edit/crop/etc. a photo?
Yes, you can save from the net, twitter, facebook i think by pressing and holding the photo. There are a few edit features for photos such as rotate, crop etc.
4. Is it true that the iPad mini has stereo speakers?
Think so, yes
5. Can one connect the iPad mini to 3rd-party bluetooth devices such as speakers or keyboards?
Yes
6. Based on what i saw on the App Store is there now a new dedicated Youtube app for the iPad? Is this true?
Yes
7. Is there now a faster or better way to transfer files (such as songs or videos) from a Mac to an iPad wirelessly without the use of iTunes or any cloud-based services?
You can sync with iTunes wirelessly as well as being connected but iTunes still needs to be used.
8. Are all files saved on my iPad mini saved on to the cloud as well?
Depends what files you are talking about but you can set it to back up your device to the cloud

Re: Twitter & Photos....with Twitter in Android previously you can hard press a photo then it saves to your Gallery. Now with Twitter on Android 4.2 there is an option to actually press Save it so its easy. Or you can take a photo.
My question is: are these 3 features possible with iOS 6 on iPad mini? And can you save a photo (on any jpeg or gift format) from a website as well?

Is there a "better" way to wirelessly(or wired) transfer files from a Mac to an iPad without use of iTunes?

Re: Cloud services...how do I set to auto or manually set my files to save onto the cloud? And what is the max space to save on the cloud?

Please advice. Thanks.

Last edited:
I am more cuious about what make you disappoint about N7 cuz I am just considering buying it...

As it happens I have both. I rarely use the N7 as I find the smaller screen combined with a 16:9 aspect ratio very restrictive. In landscape mode for a typical application (such as participating in this forum) it is very difficult to see context due to only having a few of lines of useful text.
I do like some things due to it being Android such as user accounts and the intelligent swipe keyboard.

Well, i have stated my disappointments with the Nexus 7 in my other thread. I have decided to hold on to my Nexus 7 but i have a feeling that when i will eventually sell it online i might not have another chance in buying that iPad mini.

We all know what we like about iPads...the overall smoothness of the OS, the build quality, the support you get from Apple and the quality & quantity of apps.

Having an iPad mini tab and a Galaxy Nexus phone would mean the "best of both worlds" for me would you agree guys?

IS an iPad mini good value for money and for what its worth?

Last edited:
Interesting comments about the Nexus 7. I got one in mid November and have sold it already. I never really felt happy with the screen size which seemed too small to be properly effective. The screen area of the iPad mini seems so much better for viewing. Allied to that is the build quality and ease of use of IOS6. The tech specs of the Nexus 7 are superior but I think the actual user experience is what really counts. I have a Gen3 iPad and my inclination now is to hang onto that till a Gen2 iPad mini comes out and then sell the Gen3 and buy a 3G iPad mini.

I don't have my ipad mini yet pick up from John Lewis Sat but from me brief play with one in the shops I know it's the tablet for me. I picked up a nexus 7 on launch but just didn't get on with it at all, probably because im so used to iOS but even putting that aside the main 2 complaint for me was no physical home button found very frustrating! Then there's browsing a webpage, put it in landscape and width is fine but then you hardly get any height which is very frustrating when for example viewing forums. Stick it in portrait and the text looks awful so you have to zoom in a little bit as its squashing the whole page into the thin space and so reduces the size of the text. Even though the iPad mini has a lower resolution the extra width means a webpage isn't squashed and so I can happily read a page full screen without having to zoom in.
After the nexus 7 I picked up an ipad 3 but I always found the size and weight annoying trying to hold it one handed either on the sofa leaning on the arm with feet up or lay down in bed holding it up is very uncomfortable with a full size one.

Fingers crossed this fixes my issues 

I don’t have my ipad mini yet pick up from John Lewis Sat but from me brief play with one in the shops I know it’s the tablet for me. I picked up a nexus 7 on launch but just didn’t get on with it at all, probably because im so used to iOS but even putting that aside the main 2 complaint for me was no physical home button found very frustrating! Then there's browsing a webpage, put it in landscape and width is fine but then you hardly get any height which is very frustrating when for example viewing forums. Stick it in portrait and the text looks awful so you have to zoom in a little bit as its squashing the whole page into the thin space and so reduces the size of the text. Even though the iPad mini has a lower resolution the extra width means a webpage isn’t squashed and so I can happily read a page full screen without having to zoom in.
After the nexus 7 I picked up an ipad 3 but I always found the size and weight annoying trying to hold it one handed either on the sofa leaning on the arm with feet up or lay down in bed holding it up is very uncomfortable with a full size one.

Fingers crossed this fixes my issues 

I have both a Nexus 7 and an iPad mini and that is exactly my assessment as well. I rarely pick up the N7.

I also have both Nexus 7 and iPad mini, and as much as I'd like to say otherwise I rate the iPad mini as the best tablet out there, and that's even throwing the bigger retina iPads into the mix. The mini was a gift to my wife so I still use the Nexus more, but nonetheless, I know it's a superb and superior piece of kit.

Rizza

I also have both Nexus 7 and iPad mini, and as much as I'd like to say otherwise I rate the iPad mini as the best tablet out there, and that's even throwing the bigger retina iPads into the mix. The mini was a gift to my wife so I still use the Nexus more, but nonetheless, I know it's a superb and superior piece of kit.

Rizza

I can be sitting on my settee with both my iPad Mini and my iPad 3 with retina display, but more often than not I will pick up the mini as it is just so nice to use and hold.

I'm thinking of getting one of these next weekend stock permitting. I'm fed up to the back teeth of android at the minute, apart from all the rebooting, crashing, and turning off my galaxy tab decided to delete all the content on my SD this weekend. I need something stable and reliable. I'm definitely thinking of getting rid of my nexus 7 and will think about keeping the galaxy tab.

Not sure wether to go for the white or black model though. I've always had black iPhones. At the moment I've got a white phone, a white tablet and a white and blue iPod touch, so I'm leaning more towards the black but I've heard it's a fingerprint magnet. I've had a play with one in the shops and the lack of retina display didn't bother me.

I always said I wouldn't get an iPad as I felt I wouldn't use it over my laptop and it was too big to carry around and use on the move. My wife got me a mini for Christmas and I really love it. The size makes all the difference, I'd say it's probably the perfect size for browsing the web, easy to hold and the screen is fabulous. I've put all our photos on there too so we will actually look at them now and again and they look great on the display, and a few HD films which look great. Looking forward to taking it with us next time we go away.

I originally wanted an iPad mini but was put off by the lower specs and non-Retina screen so I opted for a 64 GB iPad 4 instead, which I absolutely love. However, I would eventually like to buy an iPad mini to compliment the big version at some point but only when it has a Retina screen.

I think a 2048x1536 pixel resolution on a tablet with an 8" screen would be absolutely stunning and allow for comfortable reading of web pages and magazines without needing to zoom in. Also, you'd actually be able to view HD (1280x720 and 1920x1080) movies and videos on it without downscaling, something you cannot do on the current 1024x768 resolution model.

Yep me too.

Will be getting the retina mini as the current one would be perfect with the retina display.

Me Three

If Apple can pull it off without adding weight and keeping the screen temperature the same. I never 'warmed' to the iPads 3 & 4 for this reason.

Rizza

Looking at picking up the iPad mini tomorrow or on Saturday. I've decided to get the 16 GB version as I have a 64 GB iPod touch. The touch is the one I will carry around with me all the time. The iPad will mainly be used in doors. I won't be putting music on it and won't need all the apps I have on my iPod anyway. Plus although I will definitely get rid of my nexus 7, I may keep my galaxy tab 2. I'm still leaning towards the black.

Having got the White, I am perhaps biased, but I saw the Black in PCWorld earlier in the week and really didn't like it. Didn't look right to me.

I was after a white but due to xmas shortages I got the black which's quite good looking, but I still prefer it in white.

Rizza

I'm going to PC world later to have a play before I buy and see which colour I want. Hopefully they will have both colours in stock so I can choose properly.

£20 off here plus Quidco cashback

Apple iPad mini | Carphone Warehouse

Rizza

Ah well I've just bought mine. Went to PC world but they only had the black, so popped into the apple store just to see the white on display so I'd know which one to get. I preferred the white one. It looks nicer and I noticed that the black one had loads of finger prints on it. Just have to wait until I get home to set it up. They had lots of stock of the iPad in the apple store. I guess the shortage is over.

Last edited:
I am trying to get hold of a 16GB 3G iPad Mini as I have £100 in Currys vouchers to spend, but none of my local Currys/PC World stores have hardly any Mini's in stock at all.

Anyone else find that Currys dont have much stock of iPads in general? Hoping they get some stock soon as looking forward to getting the Mini

I am trying to get hold of a 16GB 3G iPad Mini as I have £100 in Currys vouchers to spend, but none of my local Currys/PC World stores have hardly any Mini's in stock at all.

Anyone else find that Currys dont have much stock of iPads in general? Hoping they get some stock soon as looking forward to getting the Mini

My local currys had the black iPad mini in 16 gb but not the white. It seems as though he apple stores have good stock levels but maybe not the other retailers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom