1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buying an american xbox???

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by jason t, May 21, 2002.

1. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    oh well seeing as the uk gets shafted again no pro scan games!!
    im thinking of buying an american xbox .
    i am going to the states on sunday do you think it would be possible to sneak one back in my suitcase or do you think it will get damaged in transit!!!

jason

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    I can guarantee that it wont get thrown about as much by airport staff as it does by some of the curiour companies.

One thing dont leave the paper work with the machine in case customs stops you.

If you are stopped say it was a present or prize or something.

3. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    my mate brought me one back a few weeks ago.

He unboxed all the bits, left it in the plastic bags, and carried it all in a rucksack, with halo also.
    he had no problems. saved me an arm and a leg, and it looks great on my projector.

yeah, don't keep the receipts with it, and perhaps say you are bringing it back for someone moving over here, etc.

remember to buy a dead powerful transformer over here.

4. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I also brought one back in my hand luggage (rucksack) in January. Ditch all packaging, as you're stuffed if it breaks anyway once you're back in the UK. I would recommend hand luggage over your suitcase as you are then sure it isn't going to get thrown about.

I stashed my games (six of them) and cables in my suitcase, everything else hand luggage. Also had a laptop and gameboy advance in hand luggage and got searched *twice* at SFO airport. They said they has seen a few XBoxes and GC's in luggage so knew what it was, they didn't take a screwdriver or anything to it (though I had to power up the laptop and GBA to prove they weren't packed with explosive).

All this while two guys from US Army stood next to me with their M16's - enough to make you sweat even if you haven't really done anything wrong!

5. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    jason t,

there, you're sorted, the trick is a rucksack, plus fake moustache, baggy clothes and a nervous twitch.

you'll have no problems, just clutch the rucksack tightly to your chest, kiss it occasionally.;)

CarlB - how do you get games? buying them from abroad, or getting someone to send them over? I'm about to get my mate to send over the s controller,

6. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I buy games on the net, or just get a friend at our US office to pick one up and send it over. Depends how much I *need* it! :)

7. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Can I ask where you get them from?
    I've been having a look around and I can only seem to find DVDboxoffice who can send them overseas.

8. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I get my US Xbox and GC games from Disc Emporium in Knebworth (01438 816688).

Excellent service, been using them for years for DVDs

9. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you not just get a PAL Xbox and get it chipped to be multiregion and buy NTSC games, ergo resulting in a PS output?

10. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    If you had read in another thread on this forum that it doesn't work that way. You have to have a US Xbox to play games in ProScan (PAL games are outputed that way on it too).

11. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought there was a video boot disk around that enables PAL Xbox's to output in Prog.scan by fooling the console that its NTSC... I can't say I know too much about the scene but thats what I've heard from these forums.

12. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    The boot disk in question requires a mod chip installed - it will then let you convert games from NTSC output to PAL if your TV doesn't support NTSC. It doesn't do anything with ProScan as this is in the hardware.

13. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well as I said I don't know too much about it ATM but it does make sense. The UK is lagging behind in technology but it would still be nice to have the option to use prog.scan. I guess the only viable option is to import an Xbox and take the shipping charges.

I'll probably get an Xbox later on but for now I'm quite content with resident evil on the gamecube, my PS2 and PC. Plus I'm running a tad low on cash... This Tosh TV isn't cheap >_<